Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been cleared to dive again! I still have the tingling in the right hand fingertips and left foot ankle (and nowhere else). Everything is checking out

Glad to hear that you're (almost) fully healthy!

Speaking for myself alone, if it were me that this happened to, I'd hang up my fins. Not out of fear, but just an abundance of caution. DCS is not an entirely predictable event. There are many cool things to do in this world -- diving is one of them -- if it were me I'd count my blessings and go find others. But that's just me.

Again, glad to hear you're healthy!

- Bill

Speaking for myself alone, if it were me that this happened to, I'd hang up my fins. [...] But that's just me.

Again, glad to hear you're healthy!

- Bill

Thank you.

I have spent a considerable amount of time these last few months thinking about whether it's best to don or sell my gear.

Ultimately I decided to go back in the water. Whether that's foolish or not is something that can only be determined at a later retrospective point.

I once got frostbite while on a snowmobile trip. It never stopped me from going out again the next week.

I understand and agree with your decision.

Like you will do, I reassessed my actions and took steps to mitigate the possibility of ever having that happen again.

Thank you.

I have spent a considerable amount of time these last few months thinking about whether it's best to don or sell my gear.

Ultimately I decided to go back in the water. Whether that's foolish or not is something that can only be determined at a later retrospective point.

I would interpret your actions as passive suicidal ideation, given the fact that you made such poor decisions at an emotionally distraught time. You know better.

I haven't read all the pages but from what i read ,i am glad that you have decided to dive again . You now have a much better understanding of the safe diving experience and i know you will stick to it.I am also glad that you have recovered and and was cleared to dive again.

Enjoy your next dives ! Don't allow negativity to get you down !

Epilogue: Back in the ocean

I went into the pool on Thursday night with a local dive shop and spent an hour tooling around. I was sitting there on the bottom, gear off and moving my weights around to fix my trim (for the second time), when I realized I was probably going to be okay.

This morning I went for a shallow ocean dive with a divemaster friend. We had a plan for 30 feet for 45 minutes, including contingencies for if I had to go visit the navy base or a hospital. ("I'll sign this, then this, then this, then we go to 15 and drain the tanks." "I've got O2 in the truck." "Perfect.") Just before we jumped in, he reminded me, "remember, any diver can thumb a dive for any reason." The water was a gin-clear (Bombay) 47F. Saw some very friendly krill that came along for a ride on my gloves, then at the very end a playful seal AND otter were tooling about in the shallows.

Here I am after the dive. No signs or damage or strain in my hands. The tingling is still there, but as I've said before it's something I can live with for a very long time if I have to. More than anything else, it felt relaxing and meditative to dive again. I'll have to bring along my lights or some extra weight next dive. Maybe a heated vest...

All is well; I feel great. We get a happy ending this time.

Thank you to everyone for reading, for the private messages, and for the genuine concern for my health and safety. I'm astonished that this thread has had over 40 thousand views and hundreds of replies and is still active(ish) after five months.

suited_up.jpg

Now, about that trip back to Belize...!

Back
Top Bottom