Beqa Fiji Sept 2009 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the quick reply. We like to brew tea in the mornings, so we'll simply plan on bringing our tea and a tea ball. :) No fridge isn't a huge loss, more curious than anything about that.

Great report on BLR - I think that you really convey a good feel for both the resort and the diving. One question though, what resort was it that didn't allow shore diving?

Hi Fiji Dive Guy, the resorts that would not allow shore diving where Matamanoa and also Castaway. There were a few others that allowed it but had restrictions, and a few others that didn't have good shore diving, can't remember the names of those resorts. Matamanoa said they would not allow it for environmental reasons, but then after a few emails back and forth (where I asked why was snorkelling allowed off the shore but not diving!) said if we booked a 10 dive boat package and hired a DM for each shore dive they would allow it. But yea, compared to what Beqa offers I was not interested in this.

Bula Saspotato - Thanks for that info. The Mamanuca resorts tend to be more restrictive as they also tend to get way more novice and/or generally buoyancy-deficient divers. Matamanoa has a really beautiful staghorn coral reef out in front that could sustain some pretty severe damage in short order by turning unsupervised rowdy divers loose on shore dives. The majority of dive resorts at the outer islands don't have any restrictions on shore diving, although not all of them have shore diving worth doing. Most offer unlimited shore diving when you book a dive package, but some charge a nominal fee and most charge if you don't have a dive package.

Thanks for the excellent trip report. We are leaving on Oct 15th (2009) for a week at Beqa Lagoon Resort.

Andy's group?, the wife and I will be there also 9 MORE DAYS.:D

Bula Saspotato - Thanks for that info. The Mamanuca resorts tend to be more restrictive as they also tend to get way more novice and/or generally buoyancy-deficient divers. Matamanoa has a really beautiful staghorn coral reef out in front that could sustain some pretty severe damage in short order by turning unsupervised rowdy divers loose on shore dives. The majority of dive resorts at the outer islands don't have any restrictions on shore diving, although not all of them have shore diving worth doing. Most offer unlimited shore diving when you book a dive package, but some charge a nominal fee and most charge if you don't have a dive package.

Fair enough. I offered to do a check out dive (and pay for it) so they could check out our buoyancy but this didn't help... I would really like to check out the Mamanuca group but the no shore diving or shore diving only under supervision is a very offputting. I think they should be much more flexible for experienced divers. But of course, it's their call and I will just stick to resorts who can cater for all types of divers.

Yes the reports of shore diving in the outer islands was not good when I was looking at those.

Matagi Resort has some very decent shore diving. Better than that at Beqa, but still no match for the boat dives. No charge if you are already on the boat dive package for a minimum of (3?, 5?) days, which we were. We did two day dives and one night dive from shore, plus a couple of snorkels. Clown fish, lionfish, small shark, lobster, a cute pair of remoras, grouper, bluespot ribbontail ray, hermit crabs, giant clams, all the usual fish. I saw a write-up where someone said it was crappy because of seaweed, but that only goes out for maybe 25 yards, and one could simply swim across it. I can navigate, so I just dropped down and enjoyed the 5' vis in the shallow seaweed until I got out to the good stuff.

Great pics, you've done it before. Complete report, thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom