Beqa Fiji Sept 2009 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saspotato: We usually take mesh gear bags to schlep our dive gear back and forth to the dive boat each morning. Will these be useful at Beqa -- or will the dive op take care of our gear throughout the week (except wetsuits)? Your trip report suggests we can leave the mesh gear bags at home and simply leave the dive gear at the dive shop for the week.

Saspotato: We usually take mesh gear bags to schlep our dive gear back and forth to the dive boat each morning. Will these be useful at Beqa -- or will the dive op take care of our gear throughout the week (except wetsuits)?

Scubagolf, they give you a mesh bag (with your bure number) to put your gear in. This is taken on and off the boat for you by the dive crew (after dives so you can wash stuff and then it is there in the morning for your dives if you leave it at the dive shop). It can fit basically everything bar your BC + wetsuit. About half took their regs with them though. I washed my wetsuit under the shower back at my bure, and then left it outside to dry there (you can leave it in the dive shop though and they have an outside shower there as well as big wash tubs). Personally I would not bother taking the mesh bags. A dry bag is very handy though! :) I picked up a 20L bag very cheaply and used it to take a windbreaker, beanie and a few other bits and pieces like snacks and water. They have towels on board.

Thanks for the advice on the bags. BTW, if you pay attention to golf, my "sincerest" condolences on the President's Cup.:D:D

Thanks for the advice on the bags. BTW, if you pay attention to golf, my "sincerest" condolences on the President's Cup.:D:D

Haha I have no idea what that means :) I only watch soccer, and not even that very often :)

You mention bringing a dry bag....does this mean that there's no place to keep things dry on the boats?

I hope those that are leaving this week for Beqa (I'm sooo jealous!) will post reports and hints when they return. :)

You mention bringing a dry bag....does this mean that there's no place to keep things dry on the boats?

I hope those that are leaving this week for Beqa (I'm sooo jealous!) will post reports and hints when they return. :)

Yea there is, but I prefer to have it in a bag under my seat :) On the bigger boat there is a seperate room on the boat that people left things or on the smaller boats just put stuff up with the captain. Also you have to take a smaller boat out to get on the dive boats, and it is nice to have things in a bag that if you drop it and it gets a bit wet climbing on the boat it won't ruin things :wink: I am a clumsy person and dropped my dry bag at least twice getting off the smaller boats :rofl3:

Sassy, is there going to be any need for long pants, sweaters or jackets during the evenings? I am planning on swimsuits during the day and shorts with either a polo shirt or Tommy Bahamas style island shirts for dinner/evenings. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well I think bring at least one jumper and one pair of pants. I DEFINITELY needed them as we had a few days of cold weather. But most of the time it was t-shirt weather. If you are worried about dress code, there wasn't one :)

Sassy, is there going to be any need for long pants, sweaters or jackets during the evenings? I am planning on swimsuits during the day and shorts with either a polo shirt or Tommy Bahamas style island shirts for dinner/evenings. Thanks.

I'd pack a light jacket and a beanie for the boat rides, the weather ( and water temps ) looks to be about the same as my last trip to Mexico and I was glad I had them.

3 DAYS.:D

Yea I had a windbreaker and a beanie for the boat dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom