Bermuda diving from cruise ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCruiser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to Bermuda on cruise on May 20th with non-diving wife on Celebrity Zenith. Cruising is the only way I can get to places to dive since wife loves cruising. Need advice on using ship excursion or which operator to use for a morning dive in Hamilton and a morning dive in St George. We'll be a couple of nights in each port. Also, if anyone knows of a calm, clear, shallow beach to teach my wife to snorkel.

Thanks

Living in Bermuda, I've used most the operators and they're all quite good. You'll probably save money contracting directly. Dive Bermuda has two operations: one out of the Hamiltion Princess (1/4 mile from where the Zenith will be docked in Hamiltion) and one out of the Southamption Princess (30 min taxi ride from Hamilton). The Hamilton operation usually goes out around 12PM, the Southamption operation around 8:30 AM. You should call Dive Bermuda and confirm which operation is going out when. As for St. Georges, the only operation out there is Triangle Diving, operating out of Grotto Bay Resort (5 minute taxi ride from St Georges).

As for teaching your wife to snorkel, one of the best places is Tobacco Bay, in St. Georges. It's a 2 min. taxi ride from the dock, or a 20 min walk. Walking to it, you can stop at the "Unfinished Church", which is nice. The beach is kind of small and get's really crowded when the cruise ships are in, but for snorkeling it's great. No coral but usually some very large parrotfish and interesting rock formations.

Another (better) snorkeling suggestion is to take one of the snorkeling charters, out of Hamilton. All the good snorkeling in Bermuda is really only accessible by boat. Jessie James Cruises is really good: they start you off at a nice shallow calm area for snorkel #1, then a reef for #2, then a ship wreck for #3. They have a good website to give you more info.

Thanks for the response "iluvdiving" and NJdiver85. Will check out Dive Bermuda and Tobacco Bay for wife. Wife had a bad experience on one cruise a few years back with a leaking vest while trying to take a shore snorkeling class from the cruise ship and hasn't tried snorkeling since. I think she's ready to try again as long as the water is calm and is at least waist deep to stand up in. When she gets comfortable, maybe a boat snorkel some day.
Thanks again for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom