Best Aerobic Workout for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a LOT of cardio...both the interval kind and the long and slow, fat burning kind. You really need to do both. Strength training helps as well. I use elliptical and stairmaster, free weights and machines. 1 - 1 1/2 hours/day, 6 days a week. Whatever program you get to, stick with it and you'll see great results! Most important thing is to dive, and dive some more and after you work out, dive again. As you get more comfortable in the water, your consumption rate will go way down. As an instructor, I saw some of my students go from sucking down a full tank in 20 minutes to coming up with 1000 psi after 45-50...great stuff!!!!!!

gratefuljames:
...Most important thing is to dive, and dive some more and after you work out, dive again.
I think most of use know what you meant (you can never be too fit) but just in case any new divers are reading this literally, it does not mean to go diving right after working out. That is a known risk factor (along with dehydration) for unexpected DCS.

liberato:
I think most of use know what you meant (you can never be too fit) but just in case any new divers are reading this literally, it does not mean to go diving right after working out. That is a known risk factor (along with dehydration) for unexpected DCS.

Not entirely. Exercise before decompressing to altitude is a known risk factor, which is all we knew when DAN's recommendations on pre- and post-dive exercise were formulated. Since then, much research has been done showing that true pre-dive exercise either might not be harmful or might even be beneficial, but much more research needs to be done here.

See current thread at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=119989.

Cameron

As others have said, cardio's the biggie.

I work out quite frequently on a treadmill, taking caution to use running shoes with a lot of shock absorption to protect my knees, and I space out with an elliptical trainer to not only mix up the workout, but give my knees and ankles a break (not that kind).

The sustained distances build up my stamina and lower my heart rate and blood pressure the best. About two years ago, I was mainly going for increasing my mile time and then walking a lot of the rest, and though I eventually got under a 9 minute mile (can't do it now), it wasn't doing wonders for my stamina. Now, I set a slow jogging pace, which is better for my joints anyway, and have gotten to a stage where I can jog 5.5 mph for 2 miles without stopping to walk; then I can mix it up a little bit, and do some interval work for the rest of the time, but trying to maintain a rather long stint at a jog. I tend to do 3-4 miles five days a week.

In doing so, I've dropped my standing heart rate from 90 to 70, and still going down. The exercise is more comfortable; I've noticed FAR more ease in surface swims, and better air consumption on scuba. In the Philippines, which added warm water and less weight to the equation, I was doing 70 minute dives and coming up with 900 lbs.

I also weight train, but the physiology of it wouldn't make me think it does anything for my air consumption. Stabilizes my core, increases my calorie burn, and makes me feel better though.

http://bodyforlife.com/

This is a good site and program if you're new to fitness, cardio, and resistance training. The results are amazing, too! (speaking from experience) Through a series of business trips and obligations, I let myself get out of training for a long time. I'm getting back into it now, and I feel great. :) Good luck and happy diving!

-Frank

Swimming is my main sport, so that's where I like to invest my time. It's also the one exercise I can do without getting bored or watching the clock. (I can't say the same for the cardio equipment at the gym... 5 minutes on one of those feels like 5 hours to me.) I swim for about 75 minutes a day -- usually start off with a warmup, then move into kick sets, technique drills, interval sets, and finish with a cooldown. I'm always trying to improve my technique so it gives me a goal to work toward other than just "getting in the cardio time."

FWIW, www.goswim.tv is a great resource for anyone working on swim technique. They feature different drills each week, some for each stroke, and have a really nice line of instructional videos (I own just about all of them and can't recommend them enough).

Ishie:
I also weight train, but the physiology of it wouldn't make me think it does anything for my air consumption. Stabilizes my core, increases my calorie burn, and makes me feel better though.

Of all the points brought up, this one had me puzzled the most. What do you mean by the physiology of it? If you're referring to the traditional, bodybuilder influenced type of training that most people engage (working by body parts, by reps in the 8-15 range with rest in between, which is useless for conditioning) then I could see a point, but it's not enough to catalog that particular form of training as "weight training". I can assure you that the some of the best conditioned athletes engaged in activities that are non-linear or non-rhytmic (like soccer players, wrestlers, and kickboxers) have levels of endurance that only very few can obtain (as measured in lab settings with VO2 max testing) and NONE of them ever touched a single piece of "cardio" equipment.

Careful periodization with lots of guts and toughness in the exercise floor is what gave them their endurance. I'm referring to a different type of training involving Olympic Lifts, Plyometrics, Russian Kettlebells, Sleds and other basic equipment. Need proof of it? Read the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research published by the NSCA. In the November 2005 issue, there's an excellent study by Carl D. Paton and William G. Hopkins in which they combined explosive and high resistance training to improve performance in cyclists with excellent results. And just like this, there are many more studies corroborating the efficiency of resistance training for endurance conditioning. So let me rephrase the question: What aspect of the physiology of weight training are you referring to?

Great question. Consistent resistance (weight) training, I perfer circuit traning, and cardiovascular training are essential. Strength training at least twice a week and 45 minutes to 1 hour of intense cardio work three days a week will do the job. reduce your body fat, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest and your diving will be less taxing and more enjoyable.

Enjoy diving!

Mitch

aatlas:
Hi, all. I'm a new diver...7 dives so far. I want to tackle my air consumption rate, and I decided that getting in shape couldn't hurt. I'm thinking that my goals should be:
1. Lowest possible at rest heart and respiration rates
2. Quickest possible recovery to rest rate after 10 - 15 min. of moderate exercise (e.g., a few hundred yard surface swin).

Right now I'm working out 3 - 4 times a week. Swimming 400+ yards and doing 25 minutes of cardio training on the treadmill. I'm getting in better shape for sure, but I wondered if there was a particular regimen that would work best for this.

Thanks in advance!

Richard Simmons Aerobics! Yahoo!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom