Best Aerobic Workout for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aatlas:
Hi, all. I'm a new diver...7 dives so far. I want to tackle my air consumption rate, and I decided that getting in shape couldn't hurt. I'm thinking that my goals should be:
1. Lowest possible at rest heart and respiration rates
2. Quickest possible recovery to rest rate after 10 - 15 min. of moderate exercise (e.g., a few hundred yard surface swin).

Right now I'm working out 3 - 4 times a week. Swimming 400+ yards and doing 25 minutes of cardio training on the treadmill. I'm getting in better shape for sure, but I wondered if there was a particular regimen that would work best for this.

Thanks in advance!

Pick a few sports you can fit into your schedule. Doing something you enjoy while staying in shape is an excellent way to form good habits. Just keep moving! Working out with a buddy team also helps. If one individual can't make it you always have another workout buddy. This foster better communication both in and out of the water. Finally, low on cash? Grab a skipping rope, a friends bike and do simple exercises like sit-ups, push-ups and walking those stairs. Shovling snow is a five month workout routine in Canada.

Cheers!

CameronMartz:
Interval training in any activity will ultimately result in a higher adaptative response by the cardiovascular system than steady-state training. You are "setting the bar" higher in an interval workout than with LSD (long slow distance), though there are places for both in a good swimming program. LSD training is great for developing technique and range of motion while providing active recovery from interval training. It is also believed to provide a form of energy system training, teaching your body to spare glycogen and more readily burn fat for fuel
Green_Manelishi:
I swam a few times per week for a few years at a fairly aggressive pace (although I could never quite keep up with the youngsters on the swim team) and was told by a coach that I should interval train once per week. It was not easy but it made a difference;

Thanx for the great answers! So perhaps a good mix might be 2x per week interval training while 2x per week mile swims? For the interval training I'm thinking something like a warm-up 200 followed by 2 to 3 400-500 yd hard swims mixed with laps using kickboards or arms only followed by maybe a cool down 200-400?

GypsyDoc:
Thanx for the great answers! So perhaps a good mix might be 2x per week interval training while 2x per week mile swims? For the interval training I'm thinking something like a warm-up 200 followed by 2 to 3 400-500 yd hard swims mixed with laps using kickboards or arms only followed by maybe a cool down 200-400?

That sounds like a good balance between the two types of workouts. However, you should vary your training as much as possible. Search amazon.com for swim workout books. There are several good ones out there that give you many different workouts based upon the total distance you want to swim. They are generally waterproof and meant to prop up at the edge of the pool for your reference throughout your swim.

Routine is the fast track to a fitness plateau. A little extra effort planning variety into your workouts will mean you get more out of the same physical effort in the pool.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom