Best Aerobic Workout for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aatlas

New
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm a new diver...7 dives so far. I want to tackle my air consumption rate, and I decided that getting in shape couldn't hurt. I'm thinking that my goals should be:
1. Lowest possible at rest heart and respiration rates
2. Quickest possible recovery to rest rate after 10 - 15 min. of moderate exercise (e.g., a few hundred yard surface swin).

Right now I'm working out 3 - 4 times a week. Swimming 400+ yards and doing 25 minutes of cardio training on the treadmill. I'm getting in better shape for sure, but I wondered if there was a particular regimen that would work best for this.

Thanks in advance!

Hi aatlas
I noticed you live in Seattle, so I have to recommend what I consider THE best fitness regime to increase performance levels of all kinds.
Check out this place: http://www.crossfitnorth.com/ , right there in Seattle.
Or you could just go to the parent site ( http://www.crossfit.com/ ) and follow their daily workout they call the WOD.
One of the guys that runs Crossfitnorth is a former Navy SEAL. He has tons of fitness physiology knowhow.
Bear in mind though, it is not some gimmicky gym with chrome plated machines. It's a good old hard core sweat factory type gym. And if you are after decreasing your resting heart rate, then good old fashioned hard work is the only way to go.
If you really want to get in shape, these folks will definately help you.

aatlas:
Hi, all. I'm a new diver...7 dives so far. I want to tackle my air consumption rate, and I decided that getting in shape couldn't hurt. I'm thinking that my goals should be:
2. Quickest possible recovery to rest rate after 10 - 15 min. of moderate exercise (e.g., a few hundred yard surface swin).

Right now I'm working out 3 - 4 times a week. Swimming 400+ yards and doing 25 minutes of cardio training on the treadmill. I'm getting in better shape for sure, but I wondered if there was a particular regimen that would work best for this.

Thanks in advance!

The best workout for diving is whatever you are willing to do consistently. Swimming certainly has the added advantage of improving water comfort, but any consistent program of cardiovascular and strength training will be good for diving.

While fitness certainly plays an important role in air consumption, there are several other technique-oriented factors to consider. You might want to read the article I have at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html, titled "Breathing Heavy: How to reduce your gas consumption." You should also check out the "Weekly Workouts" section of the website to see if any of those programs suit you.

Fitness will help your diving in many ways beyond reducing your SAC. Let us know how we can help you as you continue towards your goals.

Cameron

P.S. That CrossFit North gym looks like a sure bet for a great program, too.

i like running on the treadmill with the incline to 3-4 at 6-9kph for 45 mins. anything cardio sustained for 45 or more should be good.

Any balanced combination of cardio and strength training can serve you well. Just do something that you enjoy enough to do consistently. The key is to do it consistently. If you haven't been to Cameron's site - get thee there immediately. Lots of good stuff there.

Just don't start doing triathlons, it's a very addictive sport and the trainging severely cuts into your diving time :)

-Frank

scuba-punk:
Just don't start doing triathlons, it's a very addictive sport and the trainging severely cuts into your diving time :)

I keep warning people about this, but nobody believes me until it is too late. It takes two hands for me to count how many people I know who got into triathlon to get in better shape for diving, then reduced their diving so they could do more racing.

I think it also surprises people just how inclusive a sport it really is. If you think about it, though, people who are confident enough to try a triathlon generally don't need to put other people down to feel good about themselves. Instead, it's more like a bunch of addicts giving away free help to get more people hooked.

Cameron

Agressive Skin-diving.

Pete

aatlas:

Thanks in advance!

Your consumption rate is not only determined by fitness, but also by other factors like stress and anxiety. You wrote that have made 7 dives so far. Fitness is always OK, but also: Get wet! Only that will drop your consumption a few littres per minute. Continue with diving and fitness untill you have a cons-rate between 10 to 15 litters per minute.

D.

The human body was made for walking and running so naturally IMO, the best exercise is sprinting and jogging. You'll be surprised by how quickly you can build up if you rest properlly and push yourself.

Back
Top Bottom