Best agency curricula for youth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My grand daughter will be turning 12 in December. She loves water and has always shown an interest in marine biology. She wants to get certified. She is quite petite for 11, but extremely smart and attentive. My question, for those who are instructors or have children/grandkids who have become certified, which agency do you recommend and why? What about gear for the smaller student? Thx.

Please let's not turn this into an agency pissing contest. Just the facts, please.

Where is she? A usual answer is that the instructor is more important than the agency. I suspect that is even more true for children. You are in Georgia, this is a program I ran into for my nephews, but know no more about it, an Atlanta Georgia kid's program run by a scientific diving officer from Ga Tech. Scuba

I'm curious on the gear front. On tanks, I often dive 63s for their ease, I would think 40's or LP50s would be cool choices, with utility later, though they might be tall, LP27's? Smaller travel oriented regs? Kids are tough and smart, but no need to overload them with big stuff, pending budgets.

Edit: I don't really know about agencies... Sorry.

Last edited:
Agreed, @MichaelMc . Instructor selection is crutial. She lives in Venice FL. Obviously, I will be available to partner with her and be her buddy for in-water work. I too was thinking an AL40 might be a good fit.

unfortunately the agency doesn't really matter, especially at that level. Agencies don't teach you to teach per se, so you are far better off finding someone who is an actual educator. The material isn't hard, but the agencies do a very poor job at preparing instructors. It's just not practical. We actually had a similar discussion in the instructor-to-instructor subforum last week. I'll ask around for that area and see if there is someone who would be well suited for her.

an al40 is going to be too long for her. It's about as long as an al80. Look for a Luxfer 50 or steel 45's/50's. Much better option since they're quite a bit shorter.

As mentioned, the instructor is most important.

My daughter was certified at ten and used an AL 60 for quite a while.

She took a degree in marine biology at the University of Tampa, and her diving experience got her a bunch of field experience, trips to Honduras, Costa Rica, and other places to assist with research.

So naturally she is now a Naval Aviator...

I started at 11 with an LP72, but there wasn't much choice back then. LP72's and AL80's were all we had. more choices now.

for a female, zeagle makes -or used to make- a BC called a Xena. Flounder was too skinny for a scubapro small poodle jacket, we found the xena had more size choices & the evry part of the BC can be replaced independent of the others. so you can start her with an XS for example & replace just that part when she's bigger.

or go with a BP/W and just replace the webbing :wink: as needed. maybe use a really small wing like a travel wing, can always swap for a bigger one if needed later.

That Zeagle is a Zena.. My small wife dives in one it is a XS, she is 5'2" and about 105 lbs.

Will chat with Tobin @ DSS about their smallest kydex plate. BP/W may be the best solution for a growing child. When sitting down, from the stool to the top of her shoulder is 19 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom