Best agency curricula for youth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16425777_1404099559663165_2021313630396039252_n.jpg

This my 12 year old, ~5' ft tall x ~100 lbs daughter.

The tanks are Catalina al 30's with custom bands, 185 mm manifold and one off 20 lbs "doubles" wing.

What I would suggest for the petite diver in question is:

Small Back plate, SS vs Kydex would require more info WRT to exposure suit and cylinder being used.

For cylinders I'd consider a 2250 PSI Steel 72. Not too long, not too heavy, not an odd diameter that could lead to mounting difficulties.

Tobin

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks for sharing personal experiences. I think the first thing we need to do is locate the proper instructor, but the gear info has been terrific. The instructor may have preferences, based on his/her experience with younger students, as to what type of rig works best.

Great info. Thanks for sharing personal experiences. I think the first thing we need to do is locate the proper instructor, but the gear info has been terrific. The instructor may have preferences, based on his/her experience with younger students, as to what type of rig works best.

sadly most instructors gear preferences are going to be whatever the shop they work for sells and not necessarily what is actually best. Only real chance you have of finding that is an independent instructor
Gear for her at 11 is going to be the same as gear for anyone else her size regardless of age

This thread about small twin tanks for small Japanese students and issues with larger ones might be good to read, Bands and Manifolds for AL-30 or 19s? (Twins). It then gets into details of creating or sourcing tank bands. There is the scuba teen sub forum, but I do not recall much there.

An option might be a single 30 to start, migrated to a twin 30 (and maybe wing change...) or the 72, from the linked thread, tanks last a long time with small lungs. With a shorter long hose, Tobin's daughters looks super clean.

You might get some gear tips from the Atlanta Jr Scientists Dive Team, even if she is too far away for them. The lead is a scientific diver so likely more accustomed to BP/W setups as well.

8 years ago my 10 year old daughter convinced one of my staff Instructors to teach her how to scuba dive. My wife and I were surprised because we both were Scuba Instructors. I think she wanted a break from the homeschooling scene and try somebody else to teach how to dive. I got he a Kydex backplate and a 20# wing from Tobin. She outgrew the Kydex plate when she hit 12 and she went to a 30# wing when she hit 16. Back in the early 80's US Divers (now Aqualung) had manifolded twin 30's that fit on a standard cam band strap. My wife used for teaching int he pool because of her back. Those worked till my daughter got tall enough and storng enough to carry a 63 AL.

All good stuff, folks. Thank you.

My grand daughter will be turning 12 in December. She loves water and has always shown an interest in marine biology. She wants to get certified. She is quite petite for 11, but extremely smart and attentive. My question, for those who are instructors or have children/grandkids who have become certified, which agency do you recommend and why? What about gear for the smaller student? Thx.

Please let's not turn this into an agency pissing contest. Just the facts, please.
For a 11-12 year old, something like this while getting Jr Scuba Certified would be a lot more fun:
Catalina Sea Camp – Marine Biology and Island Summer Adventure

Does the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta have any similar youth programs with Scuba training?

Last edited:
@Kevrumbo she lives in SW Florida.
Seacamp in Big Pine Key, FL

"The summer camp for 10 to 17 year-olds began in 1966 and emphasizes marine research and exploration using snorkeling and scuba skills as well as the more traditional camp activities of sailing, lifesaving, windsurfing, photography, arts and crafts and campcraft. In 1970 Newfound Harbor Marine Institute evolved to provide a marine studies field camp for public and private schools, teaching snorkeling skills used to study the coral reef, shallow bay, and mangrove communities. . ."

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom