Best "All Inclusive" Resort and options for diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rutger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
March/April time frame.

I have been to Cozumel before, but I'm looking for a great all-inclusive resort for me and my girlfriend.

She does not dive, but wants to try an "intro" class. Most likely that I would want to do some boat dives, and have her tag along for the ride.

Suggestions?

Best is such a relative term.......... what do you mean by "best"???
do you mean expensive, chrome and glass, cabana boys, spa and hot tubs?
or do you mean nice, lots of activities for non-divers, close to diving?
or do you mean small and cozy where the staff knows your name?

:D

we stayed at Hotel Cozumel/ Dive Paradise in July 07. Nice place. A/C worked well. Food wasn't bad. Wasn't anything to write home about either. Rooms were clean. Staff was nice. Bartender was BUSY! There weren't a lot of people staying there at the time, so activities seemed to be dialed down a bit.

Dive Paradise was our first dive op used (ever) I suggest making sure you get in on the AM dives, they head south to Palancar. We missed out on those. It looked like their dive gear was in pretty good shape. DM's were nice and very accomidating.

Hope this helps

Highest ranked & also the most expensive is the Palace, and the fact that it has no real beach doesn't bother most people who choose it. If you need a real beach the next best are the Iberostar & the Grand, both of which are far from town, but nice properties. My recommendation re that pair has been to pick the cheaper of the 2 because neither is worth much more than the other. Be advised however that right now it looks like the Iberostar wants to charge pier fees.
Another high end choice is the Wyndham Aura, which may or may not live up to it's high end billing. Reviews have been all over the place on it. It's on the beach too but Wilma washed the sand away below the waterline, so take that into account re the Aura. Allegro is nice but not luxury, aimed at families so lots of kids. Park Royal might be a decent compromise, close to town, nice property, small beach.
photo tours of several can be seen here, and some albums have captions leading to reviews.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry.

We stayed at the Occidental Grand a couple of years ago, the grounds are beautifully cut out of the jungle, the rooms are something like 8-12(?) to a building with the buildings each off of a main sidewalk that leads to either the beach or the main lobby building, (no beach front rooms or views), the rooms are huge with safes, stocked fridges and plenty of room to rinse and hang gear in the bathroom, we had both a tub and large shower, I could rinse gear in the tub while my wife showered.

the food was very good, (at that time, this is one thing that can change at an A.I.), something different every day on all buffets, (break, lunch & dinner), not just the same 'ol day in and day out.

we only ate at one of the "reservation only" restaurants, the fancy Mexican one, and it was very good, in fact my wife, who eats shrimp constantly, said that she had a shrimp dish that was quite possilbly the best shrimp she had every eaten, and that meal still holds up today, 2-3 years later.

The best thing is that it's just a short 10 min. boat ride to the reef, and you get a little extra sleep time because it takes the dive ops at least 'till 8:30 to get to you.

The drawbacks are of course the long distance to town, (pretty much a $20 cab ride each way) and there isn't much to do at night down there but drink, they have a small lobby bar and internet area and a "disco" that didn't have much going on any night we were there, but the good news was there was no wait for the pool table :D

Some friends stayed at Park Royal and weren't super impressed, they had very long waits at the restaurants & they had no way of getting bottled water, if you asked for a water at the bar the only thing you could get was a steirofoam (sp?) cup of ice water...that doesn't go too far in the Mexican heat.

My non-diving wife and I stayed at the Cozumel Palace last year and will be going back there in April. My only complaint is that after having been there it is the only place my wife wants to go! I would be content to stay somewhere else and dine in town but there ya go. If I had to compare the food at the palace to cruise ship dining I would say breakfast and lunch way better at the palace, Dinner about the same as on a cruise. Service from the staff was very good. Really looking forward to going back.

Gaffer

I've stayed at several of them, and have to say that the Cozumel Palace wins. It's definitely the nicest all-inclusive on the island (and one of the best I've been to anywhere). Pick up by any in-town operator is easy at the hotel's dock, and they also have on-site diveshop. The service and amenities are top notch, and the rooms are beautiful. It's a bit on the pricier side, but worth it, IMHO. Proof in the pudding: I will be staying at the Palace for the 3rd time in early April.

From personal experiences, I would rank the Coz all-inclusives in this order:

1) Cozumel Palace
2) Occidental Grand
3) Wyndham Sabor (haven't stayed at Aura, but it looks nice)
4) Iberostar
5) Allegro
6) Melia
7) Hotel Cozumel

Obviously, there are several others, but these are the ones I've stayed at (Palace and Allegro multiple times). If you're looking for more upscale all-inclusive resorts, The Grand and Wyndham Sabor are both pretty good choices also. The last 3 resorts on my list are a little more run-of-the-mill. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

I've stayed at several of them, and have to say that the Cozumel Palace wins. It's definitely the nicest all-inclusive on the island (and one of the best I've been to anywhere). Pick up by any in-town operator is easy at the hotel's dock, and they also have on-site diveshop. The service and amenities are top notch, and the rooms are beautiful. It's a bit on the pricier side, but worth it, IMHO. Proof in the pudding: I will be staying at the Palace for the 3rd time in early April.

From personal experiences, I would rank the Coz all-inclusives in this order:

1) Cozumel Palace
2) Occidental Grand
3) Wyndham Sabor (haven't stayed at Aura, but it looks nice)
4) Iberostar
5) Allegro
6) Melia
7) Hotel Cozumel

Obviously, there are several others, but these are the ones I've stayed at (Palace and Allegro multiple times). If you're looking for more upscale all-inclusive resorts, The Grand and Wyndham Sabor are both pretty good choices also. The last 3 resorts on my list are a little more run-of-the-mill. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

bnajdrovsky what dates are you going to be a the palalce? I will be there from the 10th to the 18th of April

Gaffer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom