Best Bangka Dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko, I don't know you and you don't know me... I am the gringo... It's nice to see you engaging, but please, get your facts straight.
As you may have read there is nothing personal, All gringos are included in what I am saying. It could have been you or someone else.

I know and dived Murex Bangka probably even before you first came to North Sulawesi. I am a regular client been here 6 times in the 10 past years and therefore can tell how this operation evolved while in the meantime you were diving with your operation in Padang Bai.

In my view, the last thing that this operation needed in Bangka is an outsider. The laidback indonesian atmosphere was one of the main assets of the op, I remember also discussing with the staff who appreciated that Dr.Baruna was confident on their ability to run the place without a bule behind their back to manage everything on site.

If you at least read what everybody says : the food is currently not up, My last stay in Murex Bangka was a few months before you arrived. The food was varied an great. What happened?
On the diving side, it happens I have recommended the operation to many people, while Bangka was not known at all especially in the french market. I've had feedbacks since saying that there is no more the flexibility I used to know, some of friends not led to the pygmy seahorse sites or some of the good sites. In my time, I used to chat with Aswar and decide where we'd go in the next morning. What happened again?

I am sorry to say that for one of my ex fav operations, but a few factors combined including the price rise now prevent me from recommending it and/or coming back.

Last edited:
It would be like watching a knife vs gun fight, with Luko having the gun.
I normally sit and watch the bloodletting without egging it on, yes it could be interesting to watch.

As you may have read there is nothing personal, All gringos are included in what I am saying. It could have been you or someone else.

I know and dived Murex Bangka probably even before you first came to North Sulawesi. I am a regular client been here 6 times in the 10 past years and therefore can tell how this operation evolved while in the meantime you were diving with your operation in Padang Bai.

In my view, the last thing that this operation needed in Bangka is an outsider. The laidback indonesian atmosphere was one of the main assets of the op, I remember also discussing with the staff who appreciated that Dr.Baruna was confident on their ability to run the place without a bule behind their back to manage everything on site.

If you at least read what everybody says : the food is currently not up, My last stay in Murex Bangka was a few months before you arrived. The food was varied an great. What happened?
On the diving side, it happens I have recommended the operation to many people, while Bangka was not known at all especially in the french market. I've had feedbacks since saying that there is no more the flexibility I used to know, some of friends not led to the pygmy seahorse sites or some of the good sites. In my time, I used to chat with Aswar and decide where we'd go in the next morning. What happened again?

I am sorry to say that for one of my ex fav operations, but a few factors combined including the price rise now prevent me from recommending it and/or coming back.
Hi Luko,
I appriciate your reply and belive me, the last thing I want to achieve bu posting is a fight. Sorry to disappoint Dirtfarmer and AlMitch, but fighting doesn't belong on a public forum.
Dr Batuna (God bless his Soul) past away 2,5 years ago and since then, the number of guest visiting Bangka (not only Murex) has increased alot. At Murex, we are affering our "Pasport to Paradise", where guest travel between our 3 resorts, by boat, with diving along the way. This makes it alot more convienient for guest as they will have to fill in all paperwork, only once and also they deal with only one booking (agent or direct). From a company point of view, more guest, more transfers, involves way more logistics and very little room for error. As for the relaxed atmosphere, believe me, this gringgo is keeping everything as relaxed as I can. I do realize our guest come here to discover some of the culture and my job mainly is to get the logistics.
The food indeed has been a struggle. Even before I arrived, we had alot of negative comments. We have tried everything from getting qualified chefs in to having a proper F&B manager and nothing worked. What we have now is a fixed menu, rotating on a weekly base. This way, the staff gets to cook the same menu, once a week, this way the learn how to improve the recipy and maintain quality. Before we just bought our supply and kitchen staff could cook "whatever", resulting in the first 2 days, they would cook all the carrots and the chicken, and day 3 and 4, they would cook all the pork and the cabagge,... At this moment, mostly things are going as it should, but yes there's day, when even I admit that it could be better. As for some guest comments, we always make it clear in the welcome briefing that if any remarks reagrding food to adress them inmediatly. We are more than happy to cook something out of the menu if food is not up to the guest taste. On a regular base guest asked us to make a simple sandwich (BLT or what ever). If guest inform us on the day of theit check out, that they don't really fancy Indonesian food, well, I'm sorry, not that I don't care, but Check Out day is a bit to late for me to do anything about that.
I (we), thank you for recommending us to friends or operators in the French Market. I (we) really appriciate that effort.
As far as the diving is concerned, nothing has changed since DR Batuna's days. The Dive Guide, still comes to the restaurant every evening after diner, to make a planning, together with the guests. It depends on guest wishes and weather, where they dive. I had numerous occosians, where as per SOP, regarding how many divers on the island, I should have been using only one boat, I used 2 boats, just to make sure that the guest could dive where they intended to. Of course, that is not always possible. As for Pygmee seahorses, we can find them on so many different divespots, I find it hard to believe that we intantionally brought guests to divesites just to NOT see the pygmee seahorses.
One thing we do do, and this is not just Murex but all Bangka dive Resorts, is dive site selection (in order to protect our dive sites). If we would leave it entirely up to the guides we would only dive Sahaung, Sempiri and batu Gosoh. Yes some dive sites are more exiting then others, but all dive sites have to be dived on a regular base. Also we try (gentlemans agreement), not to have to many divers on 1 dive site.
I don't know when you visited us last time, but yes indeed the price has increased. Then again, prices increase everywhere. Cost of the drinks, gasoline, food,... We did do many renovations in terms of new bungalows, AC, water heaters, we hired more staff (to keep up with guest expectations level), we have new boats, new kitchen, enlarged restaurant, new staorage facilities,... In the near future we are planning even way more (and better) investments (power 24/24, fresh water on site,...).
Some thing come at a price Luko...

The main reason I posted my firs reply was Tommy. Tommy has been a cook with Murex and he worked in the Front Desk (as far as I know). He is never been a manager (this I do know). Even if he was, being a great cook, doesn't make you a great manager.

I would look forward to any reply if it's decent, and not intended to trow stones or verbally abuse. If you do want to go in serious discussin, I kindly ask you to reach out through private message so we can exchange phone and or Skype.

Happy Diving!

Thanks for your effort on explaning the situation, which are pretty much in the official PR tone, however I think I've already heard them yet and tell you why I am not satisfied with them. pls read below.
Do not feel offended or anything that way, it's a factual but "lively" reply. If you feel too upset, then I am missing the point. (though you should feel a little bit "upset" by some of the marketing remarks:wink:).
Also I can understand corporate things may not be said publicly. I don't feel the necessity to PM you so far this is public information if you do then you're welcome to, I won't say what you PMed me....

First off let's clarify this :
The main reason I posted my first reply was Tommy. Tommy has been a cook with Murex and he worked in the Front Desk (as far as I know). He is never been a manager (this I do know). Even if he was, being a great cook, doesn't make you a great manager
I haven't been informed about Murex org chart, so you may call Tommie's work whatever you like, the thing I know is that the guy that welcomes you on Bangka's beach at your arrival, gives you the keys, organizes the transfers, checks and cash you bill, the guy you call day or night whenever you have an electricity/plumbing problem, who you ask to for specific meal, comes around the tables at dinner time and see whether it's all good, gives orders to the waiters or staff, you'll agree with me that this guy goes beyond a "cook" work. :wink:))) ...in my understanding he should be called the "manager in charge".
btw I don't I have ever seen him cooking while we were chatting before dinner and sharing some photos...so he might have some cooking skills which he didin't show us. That said he ordered someone to cook us a kalppertaart after we discussed about indonesian dishes.

Probably you should get this information right or somebody doesn't want t remember Tommie.... or you will say that we had a collective hallucination, all the guests and myself in April 2015.

FYI Tommie was also Christiane's help when she was in charge at Bunaken Froggie's. May this help you figure what kind of work he was doing.before Bangka Murex.

Second part the cost. I will compare for instance to a bill I paid in 2012. It stated 40EUR per night per guest (on top of that Murex happily gave me a loyal customer discount, I mean 40EUR was the public price). That was 4 years ago... and now the price is... 90USD ladies and gentlemen. 100% increase, well done marketiing!
Now you will say ou have put some investment in the island, the only difference I had seen in 2015 comparing to 2012 was 2 (ugly) concrete buidlings. Let's face it : It doesn't bring me ANY VALUE as a customer, first off they are ugly not at all in the style of the wooden chalets, and then they bring more guests, less seclusion. In terms of customer VALUE it should have brought down the price, more customers=cheaper.. This is crazy in terms of Marketing.

Still speaking of marketing you put forward your Passport tp Paradise. Let me tell you my feeling as a Tourism professional in IT and Mkg,
This is for me an error because you have two products that are totally different. Lembeh resort, which is VERY EXPENSIVE (and to me not worth the price) catering to wealthy, -and some of them over age-, tourists with a more american feel.
Then you have Bangka which is a small rustic resort catering to people looking for more relexed, beach atmosphere. The vast majority of customers of Bangka are ether Europeans, SEA locals or Aussies, I hardly remember having seen US divers at Bangka in my 6 stays.
Pricewise and feelwise you're trying to make Bangka converge with Lembeh resort. Again I feel this is a mistake, it might be fne for discovering the 3 places with Mainland but I am afraid that in terms of returning tourists this has very little sense only.
Lembeh resort clients will better chose Gangga, because Bangka is too rustic while Bangka clients will prefer going to NAD, Bastianos or Blacksands and probably now they're looking for Blue bay or Coral eye in Bangka because it's TOO EXPENSIVE (almost 50USD per dive... come on it's INDONESIA !!!). I am not inventing about this fact, that's what I get on french boards : Murex is now in the expensive range.

As for the ponthi seahorse sites, we all know the best sites are 5 minutes away turn right from the resort (Demak and further) mostly dived in the afternoon. For some reason, I had feedbacks from some of friends who coudn't go diving these sites while I precisely told their names and location. Somebody's must be wrong....

Now let's go to the point, since you're saying food has not improved much and the operation is still running the way it was : hence what was the need of a bule manager????
I am sure you personally can bring some value where an operation needs a manager, I have no doubt, but here I feel a manager from outside is not appropriate.
And believe me, I've seen operations where the bule dive manager was a pain in the neck for both the staff and the clients (talking about your sister company in Lembeh I have some names of past managers who were completely lame and useless)
Me, I just see overhead charges that are reflected on my bill.....

Last edited:
Thanks for your effort on explaning the situation, which are pretty much in the official PR tone, however I think I've already heard them yet and tell you why I am not satisfied with them. pls read below.
Do not feel offended or anything that way, it's a factual but "lively" reply. If you feel too upset, then I am missing the point. (though you should feel a little bit "upset" by some of the marketing remarks:wink:).
Also I can understand corporate things may not be said publicly. I don't feel the necessity to PM you so far this is public information if you do then you're welcome to, I won't say what you PMed me....

First off let's clarify this :

I haven't been informed about Murex org chart, so you may call Tommie's work whatever you like, the thing I know is that the guy that welcomes you on Bangka's beach at your arrival, gives you the keys, organizes the transfers, checks and cash you bill, the guy you call day or night whenever you have an electricity/plumbing problem, who you ask to for specific meal, comes around the tables at dinner time and see whether it's all good, gives orders to the waiters or staff, you'll agree with me that this guy goes beyond a "cook" work. :wink:))) ...in my understanding he should be called the "manager in charge".
btw I don't I have ever seen him cooking while we were chatting before dinner and sharing some photos...so he might have some cooking skills which he didin't show us. That said he ordered someone to cook us a kalppertaart after we discussed about indonesian dishes.

Probably you should get this information right or somebody doesn't want t remember Tommie.... or you will say that we had a collective hallucination, all the guests and myself in April 2015.

FYI Tommie was also Christiane's help when she was in charge at Bunaken Froggie's. May this help you figure what kind of work he was doing.before Bangka Murex.

Second part the cost. I will compare for instance to a bill I paid in 2012. It stated 40EUR per night per guest (on top of that Murex happily gave me a loyal customer discount, I mean 40EUR was the public price). That was 4 years ago... and now the price is... 90USD ladies and gentlemen. 100% increase, well done marketiing!
Now you will say ou have put some investment in the island, the only difference I had seen in 2015 comparing to 2012 was 2 (ugly) concrete buidlings. Let's face it : It doesn't bring me ANY VALUE as a customer, first off they are ugly not at all in the style of the wooden chalets, and then they bring more guests, less seclusion. In terms of customer VALUE it should have brought down the price, more customers=cheaper.. This is crazy in terms of Marketing.

Still speaking of marketing you put forward your Passport tp Paradise. Let me tell you my feeling as a Tourism professional in IT and Mkg,
This is for me an error because you have two products that are totally different. Lembeh resort, which is VERY EXPENSIVE (and to me not worth the price) catering to wealthy, -and some of them over age-, tourists with a more american feel.
Then you have Bangka which is a small rustic resort catering to people looking for more relexed, beach atmosphere. The vast majority of customers of Bangka are ether Europeans, SEA locals or Aussies, I hardly remember having seen US divers at Bangka in my 6 stays.
Pricewise and feelwise you're trying to make Bangka converge with Lembeh resort. Again I feel this is a mistake, it might be fne for discovering the 3 places with Mainland but I am afraid that in terms of returning tourists this has very little sense only.
Lembeh resort clients will better chose Gangga, because Bangka is too rustic while Bangka clients will prefer going to NAD, Bastianos or Blacksands and probably now they're looking for Blue bay or Coral eye in Bangka because it's TOO EXPENSIVE (almost 50USD per dive... come on it's INDONESIA !!!). I am not inventing about this fact, that's what I get on french boards : Murex is now in the expensive range.

As for the ponthi seahorse sites, we all know the best sites are 5 minutes away turn right from the resort (Demak and further) mostly dived in the afternoon. For some reason, I had feedbacks from some of friends who coudn't go diving these sites while I precisely told their names and location. Somebody's must be wrong....

Now let's go to the point, since you're saying food has not improved much and the operation is still running the way it was : hence what was the need of a bule manager????
I am sure you personally can bring some value where an operation needs a manager, I have no doubt, but here I feel a manager from outside is not appropriate.
And believe me, I've seen operations where the bule dive manager was a pain in the neck for both the staff and the clients (talking about your sister company in Lembeh I have some names of past managers who were completely lame and useless)
Hi Luko,
Believe me, I'm writing on behalf of myself, not Murex. I do not need anyone to tell me what to reply and how.
As I tried to explain you before, my role is mainly logistics and day to day running of the place, not marketing.

Tommy was working frontdesk and indeed he spend time on Bangka. When you were here, indeed you noticed him doing alot of stuff witch could be discribed as "manager" job. At that point, Murex didn't had a Bangka Manager.
As for Bunaken Froggie's and the reason why he got kicked out of Murex, why don't you call your friend Christiane and get the story? Let me know if after you want to discus Tommy any further.

Second part the cost.
Some of what you write, might be true, most of it is just your personal opinion.
Again, I'm not the person in charge for marketing. FYI, prices have increased everywhere over the last 4 years. Look at the ups and downs vs the Dollar and the Euro... I remember that because of the bad exchange rates, the company has tried to protect the European market by keeping the internal exchange rate lower than what it was supposed to be.
All the stuff about the P2P and the bungalows, that is your opinion. If you want to be our head of marketing department, apply for the job!

Great, this proves the point. So 4 years ago, you got the Pygmee Seahorses in Demak, wel now we find them in Sabora. Yes, they move around! We also find them in Sahoung, Tanjung Usi, Tiga Batu, Batu Mandi,...
As for your friends feedback. How long did they spend on Bangka? What was the weather? I mean, there can be different factors as to why they didn't make to any divesite with Pygmee's, but in my opinion, yes, somebody is wrong.

You are missing the point. I clearly stated in my first reply that buisiness increased and we are dealing with a lot more logistics compared to 4 years ago. As for how I treat my staff and guests, feel free to reach out to any of them, I'm sure you're still friends with Aswar on Facebook?
As for Lembeh and previous managers, who are you to call anybody lame. You spend maybe 2 weeks on a Holiday, you have no idea what anybody is doing the rest of the year. I think the owners are smart enouph to decide who to keep and who to kick out, if they're useless.

Not sure if I understand this comment. Not even sure if I want you to explain me either...

As for the origanal post "Best Bangka Dive Resort"
That is a personal choise. All resorts on Bangka are slightly different. All of them offer a relaxed athmosphere and diving is among the best diving in the world.

Happy Diving

Oli4, Is it me or does it look like you are not reading or my questions. If you have no answers about them no problem, but pls don't distort what I am writing.
You wanted precise exemples, on your wish I gave them to you, pls don't fiddle them now they don't fit you.
I'll elaborate.
Tommy was working frontdesk and indeed he spend time on Bangka. When you were here, indeed you noticed him doing alot of stuff witch could be discribed as "manager" job. At that point, Murex didn't had a Bangka Manager.
Like I said, I don't have (and don't care about, not my business) Murex org chart. The guy who fulfils the job of a manager IS the manager, from a client perspective.
Firstly you called Tommie "the cook" ...lol... then you said he was frontdesk (by the way there was no "frontdesk" as such in Bangka) and you reckon he was doing a lot of things managers usually do.
So what's your official reply then, I am getting lost?

In other words what you're saying so far is that there was no-one managing in Bangka, as a 10 yo client I am stating that for a non managed resort it was going fine, and you add you're the first and only, that because you're getting more people (Is that due to the 2 more rooms I guess.. wow...).
That's a guess of what made logistics so comlex now because in 2011-12-13 etc, all years where I stayed in Bangka FYI, you had to book in advance to have a firm booking, but you weren't here to witness that,and no manager, Just a team in which DR.Batuna was confident.
So from your answer I guess it was necessary to have an outside "manager" to run those 2 additional rooms...
The "Passport to paradise" was created before you came in, at the time there was "no manager" as you say.. in fact I didn't request it but I took a "passport to Paradise" when I last came.

Some of what you write, might be true, most of it is just your personal opinion.
Again, I'm not the person in charge for marketing. FYI, prices have increased everywhere over the last 4 years. Look at the ups and downs vs the Dollar and the Euro... I remember that because of the bad exchange rates, the company has tried to protect the European market by keeping the internal exchange rate lower than what it was supposed to be.
Cost is just mathematics and economics (which I am not bad at, as a former Master in Econometrics/Statistics)..
In 2012 the USD exhange rate was around 1EUR=1,4USD, then 40EUR=55USD while it is now 90USD.
What's this mumbojumbo about rates? it was all advantage for the EUR while it had been very strong for 5 years, the logics should have been to raise the nominal euros prices and keep the US low, that wouldn't have hurt. there was less variation between 2010 and 2014 than there was in this past year.

Of course the price will alaways increase, eventually companies provide reasons for it, some arguable others not.
I can give examples of companies which have increased their prices over the 4 past years (I am coming in Indonesia twice or three times a year, and btw seen you in Padang Bai, as I am also a regular in a shop almost next door to ex-yours), but in my book Murex is the winner on that category, the standard was more like 30%, NOT 70 to 100% !
Also, what do you think of 48USD per dive in Indonesia? Tell me what's the price in Bunaken again? Less than 40USD... 20% less. Do you also want the price for Bluebay to compare with?

most of it is just your personal opinion.
Yes that's right, that's my customer opinion that 2 more concrete buidling doesn't bring any customer value.

More dive guides or more boats would have probably increased customer value, though in 2012-13 there were 3 sometimes 4 dives guides specialized in Bangka (Aswar, Johnny, Sandro and Elbart now in Lembeh) and at least 2 boats. I don't think there are even as many guides today probably only ONE Bangka specialist Aswar (Sorry I cannot count you as a Bangka specialist after only one year diving the place).

Very strangely it has been proven that customers prefer less divers around them than more divers, they also don't like 70-100% price rise for the same service, ain't that funny those people with opinions?.
You know those bloody customers who just voice their opinions because they've paid their holiday and consider things are going downhill, life would be so good without customers... just logistics...
I will get back to this because if I can accept a remark here, I may not be so indulgent with your second one, which definitely shows you're remote to customer satisfaction.

Great, this proves the point. So 4 years ago, you got the Pygmee Seahorses in Demak, wel now we find them in Sabora.
Let's go back to what I wrote exactly. I said the best sites for pontohi seahorses were 5 minutes away from the resort Demak and FURTHER. Further is ... Sabora 1 and 2. Thanks.
Secondly for my last experience in Demak and Sabora I am talking about last year april, a couple of months before you arrived, not speaking about 4 years ago (although they were already there),
I also wrote I gave my friends the names of the sites (Demak and further sites means : Demak AND Sabora) and no one had been taken there, even though they requested on going on their week stay around may if I'm correct, not the worse season in Bangka, you'll agree.
Also pls quote me correctly whan answering. That said we would agree there is a problem there were not taken to those sites, which are probably the best to go in the afternoon. That was for the flexibility side.

As for pygmies in Sahaung, or Batu Tiga I have never seen pontohis there, only bargibantis sometimes Denise, FYI all my friends are serious photographers as I am.
It would be quite stupid to bring a supermacro lens like a 100mm on Sahaung.

As for Lembeh and previous managers, who are you to call anybody lame. You spend maybe 2 weeks on a Holiday, you have no idea what anybody is doing the rest of the year.
This is where I do not accept your remark, would keep a lower profile and listen to client if I were you.
Who I am?
I am just a customer who paid for holidays, who also spent 75USD on top per day hiring a private guide not inclusive of night dive (most expensive rate in Indonesia in my book).
But so far you set your mind that customer's opinion do not count for anything, sorry to voice my opinion (this is rhetoric, I am not sorry at all).
from a customer view the manager is there to get things right, not just for drinking coffee or mixing up things. If he/she does, they're not competent, hence lame in their work.

This "manager" I am talking about introduced himself only on the 4th day although he was around drinking coffees from the beginning, the other manager was busy kissing a** to a group led by a famous photog and managed to switch around the guide I booked and the dives I requested until I complained to Abner (for me the real dive manager at that time, Indonesian and useful).

I think the owners are smart enouph to decide who to keep and who to kick out, if they're useless.
They are no more in charge of the dive operations in Lembeh.
I had similar feedback of these managers from other scubaboard members.

So to make sure you understand my point (a customer point), I will explain it again in a few bullet points even though you said you didn't understand nor wanted to know about it :
- Murex Bangka prices skyrocketed since 2 years. Is it going along with more customer value? it doesnt seem so.
- Raise of prices have been used for buildings that increase the potential number of guests and divers on the island, while not increasing the number of guides.
- raise of prices have been used to pay a few overheads who weren't necessary at the time of Dr.Batuna management. Marketing, Bangka manager, etc.Do they bring more value to the customers : the marketing raised the prices, so I will say no, and IN MY VIEW an external Bangka manager was not necessary, as a customer I hardly had to complain, the team on site was self sufficient. On a personal level I also think it was their turn for locals to take the wheel and drive the operation, why take an outsider from Maldives/Thailand/Bali?
- as an impact, what I read on the french boards is that Murex Bangka is too expensive for the area and its own standard.

Now you do what you want to do with these customer thoughts... it doesn't change my mind.

I'm popping another popcorn bag in microwave oven. Anyone wants some? :D

I'm popping another popcorn bag in microwave oven. Anyone wants some? :D
Save it for the next time, I am going to uncork a white wine and pour me a glass on Oly.
Getting tired of wizards saying what I saw never happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom