Best Belize dive locations for the beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoop46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I'm trying to plan a dive trip to Belize for my wife and I this June. While I am an experienced diver, my wife has less than 10 dives in her log. I've been browsing the threads here, but haven't got a feel for where the best diving for the new diver is in Belize.

I might also add that we'll be on a budget, so any tips on inexpesive lodging/dive packages would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hol Chan. Great beginner dive and usually lots to see. Can be crowded at times, but usually with snorkelers on the surface. Ambergris is, in general, an easy place to dive.

There are a number of places in San Pedro, Ambergis Caye where you can get very reasonable dive packages including accommodations. Try Aqua Divers and Amigos del Mar for starters. If you'd like a place that's not so crowded, try Caye Caulker. Big Fish or Frenchie's will offer good service and can probably organize you with a reasonable place to stay.
If you'd like to do southern barrier reef diving (which some of the best diving Belize has to offer), you could try one of the dive resorts on the cayes, like Thatch Caye in the Cocoplum range just east of Dangriga on the mainland, Blue Marlin Lodge on South Water Caye, or Isla Mirasol on Glovers Reef atoll.
Mainland operations adjacent to the southern barrier reef in Hopkins, which is just south of Dangriga, are Hamanasi Dive Resort or Second Nature at Jaguar Reef Lodge. Both these operations have good reputations.
The village of Placencia south of there has a long, beautiful beach, lots of variety in reasonable accommodations, lots of beach-side restaurants, lots to do in land adventures and is not as crowded as Ambergis Caye. There are 3 main independent dive operators that can all give you good dive and accommodations packages. Seahorse, Splash, and myself - Avadon Divers.

Two places on AC that I can suggest for economical hotel/dive packages. One is Sunbreeze Hotel or Suites (1/3 mile apart) combined with diving with AquaDives. Another, and one that I think is rather more economical, is to stay at The Tides and dive with the in-house dive operation Patojo's. This latter option has a great deal going for it.

On Caye Caulker my preference would be for the other of the three dive centers there, Belize Diving Services.

Thatch Caye is gorgeous, but unless you go at a time when they're quiet and inclined to offer a good deal I think they may be a bit pricey for you. You'd love it there though, so it's worth writing to ask. It's quite different from the northern cayes, as it's a private island. No "going round the bars" in the evenings.

Check out Glover's Atol. Pristeen reefs, tons of wildlife and no crowds. You won't see any divers besides the ones you are with. You'll never be on the boat with more than 9 divers. Most of the dive site are wall dives with very little current. The tops of the walls are at about 30'. All of the dives are very easy, but very beautiful. I saw 17 dolphins on one dive while I was there.
The island you stay on is great too. Only about 30 people on the whole island. And the prices are great. I think I spent $1000 for a week of diving lodging and food.

Just returned from AC and dove with bottom time and Ecologic. Easy to recommend both, but Eco was a little more $ than the others if you're going for rock bottom pricing. My feeling is that they were worth it for the divemaster. I plan to post a full trip report later.

For beginners, Do hol chan during the day and return at night if you're comfortable with night diving. It's 'nother world at night. The dive is easy. We were warned about current, but it was mild both times. My wife is newly certified and had no problem with any of the dive operators. During 6 dives, we never were in a group larger than 6 divers. I do admit that the night dive at Hol Chan was amusing because the Aqua Dives boat disgorged what seemed like dozens of divers after we splashed. Every time I looked over my shoulder, I felt like the fugitive being pursued by bloodhounds, seeing all the lights in the distance.

I had extensively read this board and followed Peter's advice, and then visited all the shops within a reasonable distance before choosing the operators.

We did not get to go with Chuck and Robbie's, which I regret, but we'll be sure to hit them next time.

I would say Ambergris Caye at SunBreeze Hotel and lots to do in San Pedro. If you are looking for less crowd area I enjoyed Turneffe FLats resort the diving is great and relaxed small groups plus their packages include the blue hole and half moon Caye no extra charge the food is good and 3 dives a day instead of 2. there is no town so your stuck but the folks there are great like family.

let me know if i can help more.

I second Ambergris Caye. There are so many good sites, that offer a good range of difficulty -- even on the same sites. You can elect to go thru tunnels, for instance, while your wife can simply swim over. We dove with Ecologic, and they do have affordable packages. Try calling them (ask for Steve or Suyapa), and tell them you'll pay in advance for the very best deal.

I've heard good things about Sunbreeze, but there are lots of choices for lodging too.

Back
Top Bottom