Best Boat for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Ya this is a tough question to answer....Im looking at getting a dive boat in the future for some Great Lakes Diving....Only problem is whats good in the ocean is not good in my big ol'pond. Lake Michigan waves pound boats relentlessly and with such frequency that lots of boats go down. we dont have rolling waves with a few seconds between them. "

Huh, what?, well if they are sinking that frequently perhaps they need to get one that is good in the ocean since the ones that are not good in the ocean that y'all use up there apparently are not all that good in the big pond either. I see a lot of Lund and similar up there, don't think much of them in the ocean, they sink to easy and the aluminum doesn't last long enough to even make a good dive site. N

What's the best? Don't know. Once of my recent favorites was a older Zodiac Mk V Grand Raid with new twin Yamaha jet drives (I think they were 70 hp). Sweet, sweet boat.

I just got what I think is the perfect dive boat. It's a Grady White 282 Sailfish. It's plenty big to dive six, maybe more. The cabin is plenty big for the wife and I to spend some time on. It has a seperate head compartment with hot water. Twin 225's push it to a 30+ cruise at about 2 miles per gallon. I live on Lake Michigan and it rides even better than I expected it to. Takes our 3 foot chop, even headseas, with relative comfort, as good if not better than anything else I've been on under 35' with the exception of the 31' Tiara which might ride a little better but it's too slow.

Along with all that, it's trailerable. It's only 9'6" wide and with a $45 seasonal permit I can take it with me anywhere on the Great Lakes and Florida(extra permits required for a small fee) in the winter.

Somehow I don't think that zodiac would sink.-even in the Great Ponds to the north. That is one heck of a cool boat--I vote that one for best boat!

Given all the Lunds and stuff like that I see on the Lakes it cannot be as bad as you say. Like I told another fellow, when the Lakes get bad a ship goes down, when the Gulf of Mexico throws a fuss entire cities and hundreds of miles of coast line get wiped out, your gonna have to excuse me but I am not awed by the big lake any more than the ocean, either can kill you if your not prepared. Oh, and there is stuff in the ocean that might decide to eat you. N

Nemrod:
Somehow I don't think that zodiac would sink.-even in the Great Ponds to the north. That is one heck of a cool boat--I vote that one for best boat!

Given all the Lunds and stuff like that I see on the Lakes it cannot be as bad as you say. Like I told another fellow, when the Lakes get bad a ship goes down, when the Gulf of Mexico throws a fuss entire cities and hundreds of miles of coast line get wiped out, your gonna have to excuse me but I am not awed by the big lake any more than the ocean, either can kill you if your not prepared. Oh, and there is stuff in the ocean that might decide to eat you. N
I've been out on a Coastie Hurricane and it's one heck of a boat, but a quarter of a million dollars is a little dear for a boat that I can't even spend the night on in comfort.

cobaltblue:
Along with all that, it's trailerable. It's only 9'6" wide and with a $45 seasonal permit I can take it with me anywhere on the Great Lakes and Florida(extra permits required for a small fee) in the winter.

Without a very special transport permit, we have a 8'5" beam max. on a trailer, here in Ga., if you're thinking of passing through on the way to Florida...

Back
Top Bottom