Best bug spray / mosquito repellant for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say - we spent a week in Bonaire and didn't get a single bite, don't recall any bugs at all... I would say dont take any.

to respont to the main subject, the spray OFF we bought a Costco works good, is cheap, not oily, etc.

Tried Cactus Juice in Roatan - got mauled by everything that bites.

REI deet is ok, but it stink, is oily, smell terrible, etc.

that is my $0.02 worth on that subject.

Has anyone tried Cactus Juice. I ordered some for a trip to Belize, but we did not get it until after we left for our trip. It was supposed to be good for the no-seeums.
We also have Avon skin so soft bug guard. That worked good for my wife while we were in Roatan.

Jeff

Cactus Juice - snake oil. Useless. Don't waste your time.

Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard WITH Picaridin has some use. The other product will make you smell nice while you donate blood.

Has anyone tried Cactus Juice. I ordered some for a trip to Belize, but we did not get it until after we left for our trip. It was supposed to be good for the no-seeums.
We also have Avon skin so soft bug guard. That worked good for my wife while we were in Roatan.

Jeff
I use the cactus juice. It's a great product with SPF 20. No odor and works great to repel insects. It keeps the no-see-um gnats and mosquitoes from biting for a long time. I used it in Bonaire with great success.
I'm also a big fan of the repel lemon eucalyptus spray if I can't find the cactus juice. Hate the smell but it really works and again is natural/non-toxic.

I think we brought several different brands with us when we went. Off, Skin so Soft and Cutters were a few if I remember correctly. I mostly used the Off and it worked well. Speaking of off this is way "off topic" but your going away during the last week of the hockey season?

I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan. It's depressing to watch!!

What is worse is that one of my teams was scheduled for the championship game that Thursday. If we made the finals I would have missed it, but they moved the game to the PNC Arena on Sunday the 28th. I'm hoping we make the finals now so I can play there again.

We're going to Buddy Dive 4/20-4/27. My wife is sensitive to buy bites so I'd like to bring the right stuff. What's the best to bring with us?
Lita's No-See-Um No More just got great reviews from Dive Training Magazine and LookIntoHawaii. Whether you are in dense forest, waterways or on the beach, enjoy without getting a single bite from the insects (mosquitoes, sand fleas/noseeums, chiggers, gnats, flies, horse flies, tsetse flies). Sells from California and is sold at resorts worldwide.
Links:
Dive Training: Lita's No-See-Um No More |
LookIntoHawaii: Ad: Natural Bug Spray - No-See-Um No More @ LookIntoHawaii.com

We don't really have to much of a problem with bugs.. Don't use anything in the daytime.. I lite a bunch of bug candles for sitting out at night.. The key is to put one under your chair...:wink: And a light long sleeve shirt ...

Jim...

Any independent studies of Lita since 2013?

I go to Africa a lot. Would the manufacturers of Lita recommend that for malaria prone areas?

DEET seems to work best.
For those with allergies, sensitivities or apprehensions, or for younger children, I have used products with 2-undecanone (it's derived from wild tomato plants) and have observed fair results. BioUD was the brand of the repellent. It had a strong, distinctive odor.

I was being silently facetious. Trust me, I used DEET in both Angola and Malawi. Both references made by "noseeumnomore" are ads placed by the company in those magazines. I have yet to read a single independent study showing that the Lita product has any efficacy whatsoever. I believe that the primary ingredient is snake oil.

Back
Top Bottom