Best card for c5050 (yet again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

It's time for me to actually purchase a new card for our 5050's. I've read up on the reviews and know I should get a card which is at least 12x (Compact Flash). We already have the xD cards.

I found two OK options:
Lexar Media 1 GB Compact Flash HSS (40X) CF1GB-40-278 for about $80
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._t/104-6468882-3163951?v=glance&s=electronics

The second was to go with a HITACHI MD2GBA 2GB MicroDrive 3K4 with Travel Kit
for about $130
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._6/104-6468882-3163951?v=glance&s=electronics

Big question with the microdrive...I've read they can really suck your batteries dry. How many hours (estimated) can you be underwater, taking pics, with a microdrive on a single fully charged set of batteries?

Finally does anyone know of any current deals that I might be happy to hear about? I'll post pics when we get back from Baonire!

Thanks!

the transcend 30x 512MB card was the fastest i could find in speed tests posted on the net, so i went with the transcend 45x 1GB card (no data i could find on that, so had to assume it would work as well as the smaller card does with the 5050...). i haven't run any actual timing tests, but its fast enough for my purposes.

lamont:
the transcend 30x 512MB card was the fastest i could find in speed tests posted on the net, so i went with the transcend 45x 1GB card (no data i could find on that, so had to assume it would work as well as the smaller card does with the 5050...). i haven't run any actual timing tests, but its fast enough for my purposes.
I'd never heard of Transcend until my searching today. Are they a re-branded product from another OEM?

DrSteve:
<snip>
Big question with the microdrive...I've read they can really suck your batteries dry. How many hours (estimated) can you be underwater, taking pics, with a microdrive on a single fully charged set of batteries?

Why add more moving parts and risk to the equation? Spend the $30 more and buy 2 1G cards if you want that much storage. Plus, you get redundancy (although you said you have xD, so you already have that).

Maybe I'm biased from very bad luck with the original IBM 340M microdrive years ago.

Just my $.02

In the end I purchased a Viking Pro card (1GB CF) for 76 from zipzoomfly. They are rated at 45x, which should make it more than adequate for a 5050 :)

Bonaire here we come!

DrSteve:
In the end I purchased a Viking Pro card (1GB CF) for 76 from zipzoomfly. They are rated at 45x, which should make it more than adequate for a 5050 :)

Bonaire here we come!
Make sure you test it first! Some brands of CF cards do not work in the 5050. I had trouble with 1G PRETEC 80X CF Card - it would not work. Ended up with a Sandisk.

The Kingston 1GB, Elite Pro cards (50x) work fine in the c5050 :)

DrSteve:
The Kingston 1GB, Elite Pro cards (50x) work fine in the c5050 :)

I just purchased a SanDisk 1GB card. Paid a little more but what the heck. Lexar is also supposed to be a good one too. Cheaper too.

Good Viz,
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom