Best chargeable AA batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
There are differences between different manufacturers. There is a big in depth review on many of them here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
I see some 1850 mAh batteries doing better than 2000 mAh batteries in this test!

Read the section titled "Further Fallacies of mAh" too :wink:

jonnythan:
I see some 1850 mAh batteries doing better than 2000 mAh batteries in this test!

Read the section titled "Further Fallacies of mAh" too :wink:

I agree Jonnythan. It supports what you said to a certain extent as well. I just don't believe that you can make a blanket statement though. If you pick a manufacturer and compare their different batteries then the higher mAh batteries last longer. Reading the test results should let you know the best manufacturers. The combination of the two things should answer this thread question perfectly IMO! eyebrow

(by the way......these tests were done on a test setup designed to more closely use the batteries as a camera does......not the standard industry ratings test.)

I agree that you can't make a blanket statement.

Pick out the blanket statement:
jonnythan:
In general this is obviously true. However, one brand's 2100 mAh battery won't necessarily last longer than another brand's 2300 mAh.
Kim:
On the other hand in practice everyone who uses the batteries in the cameras finds that the higher mAh batteries last longer!

:wink:

The one that seemed to me to attract the questions from people was actually -

Jonnythan:
A higher mAh rating does not necessarily translate into longer-lasting power in a camera.

I think that it's splitting hairs though. If we are agreed that higher mAh batteries from a good manufacturer last longer than lower ones then that is all that matters really. The links in this thread should now give everyone the information to be able to make their own informed choices - regardless of what "you" said....or "I" said.

It might be splitting hairs, but a 2300 from one manufacturer will have a different life in a given camera than a 2300 from another manufacturer.. and the original poster wanted the one that would last *longest*.

You're right, of course, and I'm just giving you a hard time.. which is probably why a couple of us recommended the Powerizers... :)

jonnythan:
.. and the original poster wanted the one that would last *longest*.

You're right, of course, and I'm just giving you a hard time.. which is probably why a couple of us recommended the Powerizers...
icosm14.gif

...and which is why I recommended the rechargable CR-V3 lithiums - which last much longer than any of them. For some strange reason these don't seem to be very popular in the States though.....I have no idea why not. I already gave a link to Steve's review of them earlier in the thread.

A quote from that link:
These Li-ion batteries offer greater power output than NiMH rechargeables, hold a charge for a longer period of time, perform better in lower temperatures and they're also lighter in weight. Until recently the only type of CR-V3 batteries were expensive (approx. $9-13 ea.), one-use disposables, but that's now changing.

IMO generally higher ma batteries last longer. I know charge rate has an effect on batteries lasting. The longer and slower you charge a battery the longer the discharge will take. Doesnt matter if you are using a battery at its max output ma or lower this will stay true. May want to look into the charger specs to charge as long and slow as possible to get that extra dive out of your batteries.

I don't think those CR-V3 batteries would even work in my camera.. it takes AA's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom