best Cozumel dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amen, and I'll add one thing: If one does a search, one will see that there are around a half dozen dive op names that come up again and again as highly recommended by SB members. That doesn't mean they are necessarily the "top five or six" in Cozumel, but it does mean that many SB members think of them that way. You can't go wrong with any of those dive ops.
Agreed, but also keep in mind that Scubaboarders are a very small segment of the diving population.

Agreed, but also keep in mind that Scubaboarders are a very small segment of the diving population.

Eh, I thought that's exactly what my comment implied: That doesn't mean they are necessarily the "top five or six" in Cozumel, but it does mean that many SB members think of them that way.

Who are the "top five or six" in the opinion of the majority of divers who visit Cozumel?--I have no idea. One could also check out the reviews on Tripadvisor to see what another segment of the diving population thinks.

There is no "best" dive op on Cozumel.

This needs to be in a sticky.

You'll get a lot of cheerleading but not much information of substance.

This, too. This is part of why I avoid repeatedly recommending the shop with which I dive. It's right for me. It might not be for everyone.

If one does a search, one will see that there are around a half dozen dive op names that come up again and again as highly recommended by SB members. That doesn't mean they are necessarily the "top five or six" in Cozumel, but it does mean that many SB members think of them that way. You can't go wrong with any of those dive ops.

Again, sticky-worthy. This isn't like "Nassau" (New Providence) in the Bahamas where there are only 2-3 dive operators one of which dominates. There are multiple very good choices.

What do you want in a dive op? I need shaded boats, a beach surface interval and larger tanks.

Exactly. Maybe the automatic first response to questions such as this should be "what do you mean by 'best'?". There's an entire matrix of factors that are important to some divers but not to others.

If you choose a dive op that departs from the caleta south of town, you may have to use a taxi to get there and back so verify hotel pickup if that is important to you.

This is definitely one of those "different strokes" things. I love driving to the Caleta to meet the boat. Others hate it.

Maybe someday (riiiight...) I'll actually make up a matrix of some of those factors to post. Perhaps a few of us could volunteer to work together to update it a few times a year. The challenges (besides all the work) would be to avoid the cheerleading and stick to objective data and to find a way to do this that doesn't torpedo the business of shops or independents that aren't on the list either because we don't know about them or because we can't get enough information. This would probably best be done offline, at least until there's a version worth presenting for comments.

Any volunteers?

Maybe someday (riiiight...) I'll actually make up a matrix of some of those factors to post. Perhaps a few of us could volunteer to work together to update it a few times a year. The challenges (besides all the work) would be to avoid the cheerleading and stick to objective data and to find a way to do this that doesn't torpedo the business of shops or independents that aren't on the list either because we don't know about them or because we can't get enough information. This would probably best be done offline, at least until there's a version worth presenting for comments.

Any volunteers?

This was discussed a few years ago and I do not recall the end result.

My opinion, create a list of parameters. That goes across the top. Along the left side are dive shops that wish to be included or that people add.

Caveat that it is using best available info and contact the dive shop for verification.

Here is my start for a list of attributes:

1) Shaded boats
2) Beach surface interval (BC = beach club. R = remote)
3) Boat size (6 = six divers plus DM, 20 = twenty passengers, etc)
4) Nitrox available (may be pointless if it is universal)
5) Training available (possible codes for different levels)
6) Pick up points. (C = Caleta and south. DT = downtown and south. N = northern hotel and south)
7) Cruise ship passenger option
8) Combined snorkel/scuba trip

This was discussed a few years ago and I do not recall the end result.

My opinion, create a list of parameters. That goes across the top. Along the left side are dive shops that wish to be included or that people add.

Caveat that it is using best available info and contact the dive shop for verification.

Here is my start for a list of attributes:

1) Shaded boats
2) Beach surface interval (BC = beach club. R = remote)
3) Boat size (6 = six divers plus DM, 20 = twenty passengers, etc)
4) Nitrox available (may be pointless if it is universal)
5) Training available (possible codes for different levels)
6) Pick up points. (C = Caleta and south. DT = downtown and south. N = northern hotel and south)
7) Cruise ship passenger option
8) Combined snorkel/scuba trip

9) Tank Size (80 100 HP120, etc)
10) SI food/drink (water/fruit - water/pastries - hot meal)
11) Range (west side, west and east, west no north)
12) Boat Amenities (none, jackets, head, etc.)
13) Cert agencies (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc)
14) Departure times (8am downtown, 9am downtown, 8:30am caleta, etc.)
15) Trip Offerings (2 tank mornings, 3 tanks, 4 tanks, etc)
16) Equipment handling (yes, no, yes no wetsuits, bc and fins only, etc)
17) Number of divers required to send out a boat (morning always offered, 3 for afternoon, 4 for night dive, etc)
18) Payment options (cash, credit card, deposit required, etc)
19) Referral Dives (4 shore, 2 shore 2 boat, 4 boat)
20) Contact info
21) Arrange cenote trips (yes/no - may be universal so pointless)
22) Boat Charter available (yes/no)
23) Notes (scheduled reefs, upcharge for north and far south reefs, etc.)

Just brainstorming.

What do you want in a dive op? I need shaded boats, a beach surface interval and larger tanks. Aldora meets those requirements and will pick up at Cozumel Palace. Whether the other two large tank dive ops will pick up there is unknown. Those other two are Living Underwater and Liquid Blue.

Living Underwater picks up at the Palace, El Cantil, and in town.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2015 at 01:45 PM ----------

9) Tank Size (80 100 HP120, etc)
10) SI food/drink (water/fruit - water/pastries - hot meal)
11) Range (west side, west and east, west no north)
12) Boat Amenities (none, jackets, head, etc.)
13) Cert agencies (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc)
14) Departure times (8am downtown, 9am downtown, 8:30am caleta, etc.)
15) Trip Offerings (2 tank mornings, 3 tanks, 4 tanks, etc)
16) Equipment handling (yes, no, yes no wetsuits, bc and fins only, etc)
17) Number of divers required to send out a boat (morning always offered, 3 for afternoon, 4 for night dive, etc)
18) Payment options (cash, credit card, deposit required, etc)
19) Referral Dives (4 shore, 2 shore 2 boat, 4 boat)
20) Contact info
21) Arrange cenote trips (yes/no - may be universal so pointless)
22) Boat Charter available (yes/no)
23) Notes (scheduled reefs, upcharge for north and far south reefs, etc.)

Just brainstorming.

here are a few more. Some are more basic than others.

25) method of water entry (back roll/giant stride)
26) camera rinse bucket (y/n; small/large)...might fit under #12
27) tenure and total experience of boat crew/DM
28) number and size of engines/travelling times
29) gear pick up and delivery or do you need to get it to and from the op/boat (maybe under #16)
30) allows divers to hunt lionfish in Marine Park Y/N
31) communication...before, during and after trip
32) ascent policy
33) prices (discounts, inclusion of Marine Park fee, nitrox etc. up charges for extended ranges)
34) cancellation policies (including same day no-shows, illness etc.)

and then there are some safety related ones
35) O2 on board (and working!); nitrox & CO testers, AED on board
36) DM equipped with nautilus
37) quality/maintenance of rental gear
38) quality/maintenance of boat/life jackets
39) non slip surfaces

I am sure others can add to the list! Have fun with that matrix Mstevens!

My personal preference is Tres Pelicanos. I have recommended them to many other divers and have never gotten any bad feedback.

They seem to be one of the better priced ones as well. I think the 5 day dive package works out to $65 per day..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom