best Cozumel dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This whole subject is really kind of silly. There simply is no "best dive operator" on Cozumel that is best for everyone. Everyone has different criteria - just what they are looking for from a dive or a dive operator. Do you want small fast boats that will get you out on the reef first, and back to your hotel ahead of the crowds? Or maybe you really like the long slow comfortable ride and the comraderie of a lot of divers on a big boat? Are you looking for Steel 120 tanks that will give you 90 minute dives? Or do you get cold easily, and really only want 45-50 minute dives? Do you want to dive your own tank and only come up when you are out of air and NDL? Or are you looking for a Dive Op where the whole group comes up together? Are you looking for an Op that will provide rental equipment at no extra cost, or will give you the best deal for a 4-day package of dives? Do you want a DM that will babysit you and make certain you're calm, or a DM that will leave you alone while you hang back from the group to take Macro photos? Do you want a DM who will use a dead lionfish to stir up a couple of Morays, or one that will find and show you the Sea Horse the size of your thumbnail? Just asking the question about who is "the best dive operator" only brings out the cheerleaders, who will gladly (and loudly) tell you which is THEIR favorite operator, but only rarely tell you WHY they like that operator. And I'm betting that most divers who come to Cozumel often find a favorite and stick with that Operator; they only experience 3 or 4, maybe 5 at the most, Dive Operators, out of the 100+ that exist. Rather than asking "which is the best", a question with no real answer, how about figuring out exactly what you are looking for, then asking "which is the best FOR ME"?

Do you want small fast boats that will get you out on the reef first, and back to your hotel ahead of the crowds? Or maybe you really like the long slow comfortable ride and the comraderie of a lot of divers on a big boat? ?

Or maybe you want a bigger, comfortable boat that is faster than the little boats?

:)

:cheerleader:

For us, the Op is secondary to the DM.
Changed Op's twice now because of the DM, and will likely do so a 3rd time.
Envious of those who've found just the right combination.

Personally, I want a private DM who'll take to the reefs on a Jet Ski! ��

I can hook you up with a DM that will take you to the boats on the north part of town with an underwater scooter?

For us, the Op is secondary to the DM.
Changed Op's twice now because of the DM, and will likely do so a 3rd time.
Envious of those who've found just the right combination.

Do a search within the Cozumel forum for "Sandro" and see what comes up. He's been a favorite for over 10 years.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Staying at Cozumel Palace. any recommendations for a dive operator? Not concerned about cost, but rather, top flight service, safety and boats.

Thanks[/QUOTE

Tips on finding a dive op on Cozumel ... The Shark Tank radio show: Tips on finding a Dive Operator on Cozumel ...

The question isn't "What's the best dive op?" but "What's the best dive op for YOU?"

Top flight service? A short list ...

1. BlueXTSea
2. Aldora
3. ScubaTony
4. Tres Pelicanos
5. Scuba with Alison
6. Living Underwater

Originally Posted by djanni When someone dives with same dive shop all the time their frame of reference is quite limited. That includes my wife and I.

We have a little over 500 dives with Blue~XT~Sea and we've never had a thought about checking out anyone else.

Wasn't so long ago that I posted the above. Since then we've extended our experience. We've dived with both TresPelicanos and Aldora. We settled on Aldora who is our new number one!

80-85 minute dives are pretty cool too.

My DH and I agree with you 100 %. After 300 + dives each with Blue XT Sea Diving we are at a point where we need to explore other options. We are also considering Tres Pelicanos or Aldora.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom