Best day to fly Dallas to CZM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryanmc57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trying to find good fares from DFW or DAL to Cozumel is a pretty frustrating endeavor. Is there a best day to fly either way, or perhaps a best airline? It seems like fuel prices have dropped significantly, but nobody told the airlines. :depressed:

My guess is that the best bet is to go to the web sites (american first), and leave your self open to a few days plus or minus. If you pick the wrong days it may be ugly. Or if you don't mind a plane change Southworst is now flying into Cancun from multiple locations in Texas. The bag drag and ferry are not that bad in my experience and if you can save $100 plus by going into Cancun it may be worth it. But the airlines seem to still consider Cozumel the "hallowed Ground".

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The cheapest this month looks like $461 R/T this Thursday (or Mon the 10th) on Sun Country.

All your options except Southwest are here: Matrix - ITA Software by Google

Under dates check See Calendar of Lowest Fares and enter a starting date and nights.
You have to book direct with the airline or someone else though.

We are headed back to DFW airport tomorrow. I booked directly through Sun Country Airlines | Airline Tickets, Flights and Airfare . They are generally the cheapest you can find, and you can view their calendar to see how the fares change by day of the week. Ticket prices were $460, plus bags, reserved seats, etc. $550pp once it was all said and done. I booked the tickets about 3-4 days prior to the flight.

Sun Country is cheapest into Cozumel. But it charges for every bag, and only flies from DFW into Cozumel in the Summer months - I think it goes back to Winter schedule, meaning no DFW-Cozumel flights, after September 1. Southwest, which flies into Cancun from Houston Hobby (about $344 RT in December, last I checked) gives you up to 3 bags free, and is better than $200 cheaper than American from DFW to Cozumel - worth the hassle of the Bag Drag.

Not enough information given to answer the question properly. There is no cheapest day as the trends & options change too much.
  1. Do you want to go one-way or round-trip?
  2. When would you prefer to go?
  3. How long do you want to stay if returning?
  4. And I guess you want non-stop, which is not the same as direct - even as often as travelers misuse the latter term.
The cheapest this month looks like $461 R/T this Thursday (or Mon the 10th) on Sun Country.

All your options except Southwest are here: Matrix - ITA Software by Google
Yep, for the major airlines - still the best shopping site. Also uncheck "allow airport changes." Then you have to compare to the airlines that won't let outside sites check.

Amazingly, there are many $221 one-way fares DFW=CZM in August. I usually don't expect bargain with less than 3 weeks until travel, but I guess the airlines have a lot of unsold seats they don't want to waste. Those fares are not available in October at all, but may show up later - no Tuesday flights. The $221 fares do show up for early November tho; I did not check further as this could go on & on not know when s/he wants to travel.

I've tried shopping one-way fares both ways, but that gets confusing as the return flights one-way are quoted in Pesos. :confused: I can't divide by 16 in my head.

Round-trip fares are more than double the one-way fares, which seems odd at first - but probably because of the Mexican departure taxes built in. We used to think we had to get round-trip fares to save vs one-ways, but not necessarily true anymore.

We are headed back to DFW airport tomorrow. I booked directly through Sun Country Airlines | Airline Tickets, Flights and Airfare . They are generally the cheapest you can find, and you can view their calendar to see how the fares change by day of the week. Ticket prices were $460, plus bags, reserved seats, etc. $550pp once it was all said and done. I booked the tickets about 3-4 days prior to the flight.
Apples vs oranges. I suppose you mean round-trip, but you didn't say? They are not necessarily the cheapest, but it pays to check. Charging more for reserved seats is excessive, IMO - but they all like to charge more when they can get away with it. Sun Country fares are show on Matrix, and they are seldom the cheapest. They like it when you think so and don't look elsewhere.

Sun Country is cheapest into Cozumel. But it charges for every bag, and only flies from DFW into Cozumel in the Summer months - I think it goes back to Winter schedule, meaning no DFW-Cozumel flights, after September 1. Southwest, which flies into Cancun from Houston Hobby (about $344 RT in December, last I checked) gives you up to 3 bags free, and is better than $200 cheaper than American from DFW to Cozumel - worth the hassle of the Bag Drag.
I see fares as late as Aug 17, on a few dates, then nothing - and they charge as much as real airlines when they can.

Now if you'd not mind Cancun, there's a bargain, on some dates - $114 one-way, $278 round-trip. A big problem there can be the return flight times. For Coz, airlines fly planes in and turn them around the same day. In Cancun, they have more flights - some arriving later in the day, and those planes & crews often overnight there, then the airlines want to fill the early morning planes. Be sure to check SWA fares separately.

Another thumbs up for using Matrix software. Takes a little playing around with it. I always check non stops because most of the cheaper flights will have very long layovers and I am not going to fly to Miami on my way to Mexico from DFW no matter how much I save.

I used Sun Country on 7/20, I booked it less than 12 hours in advance and it was $461 RT. No issues, the reserve seats charge was only toward the front just like AA. Sat in row 11 for no extra fee and only had a carry on.

I have been checking prices for CUN a CZM for October and not finding any great deals. $391 RT to CUN is the best I see 10/3/15 to 10/11/15, CZM flights are way too high. I am sure they will drop at some point.

Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday are usually cheaper than Fri - Mon.

We always fly AA out of DFW. Direct flight, to Coz flight leaves about mid morning (works good for the non-morning person in me) & the return flight leaves in mid-afternoon, (3ish), so you get a bit of an extra day.

Back
Top Bottom