Best dive computer for older eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After a lifetime of eagle vision, I finally succumbed in my early 40's and need reading glasses (and can no longer read my Aeris Manta computer very easily). I've tried various mask solutions, but hated them so I'm now looking for a dive computer with a great, readable screen.

I'll read the reviews but can folks help me out by narrowing down my list of candidates?

Other info:
- recreational diver, but often in low vis and I like night diving, may one day try deep/trimix, but mostly just air and nitrox.
- don't care about air integration
- DO want wrist mount
- want a good wrist mount, easy to strap on and hard to lose
- ease of use is important
- care somewhat about logging and computer integration, but it's not super important. I log my dives on paper
- not quite ready to drop $1,000 on a computer

My default choice is Petrel but I'm open to other suggestions so I can consider some options. Not sure what the diff is between Petrel and Petrel 2, but I assume I should go for latest model. What are the closest substitutes? Are Petrels really indeed good for people who can't read small print gauges?

Thanks.
Steve

Not really a fair comparison but...

image.jpg

Cressi Giotto

image.jpg

Oceanic Geo 2.0

image.jpg

Petrel 2 set in Rec mode.

... Just saying :D

Last edited:
Petrel 2 Computer: Even with acute Left Cornea Hydrops, and Keratoconus Right Eye (and even after losing a contact lens during a dive) -I could still read the display of the Petrel 2 & the digital compass at all depths & light levels during critical decompression stops, despite the severe astigmatic visual distortion/occlusion of my eye condition. . .

I have an aeris atmos 2, which is a discontinued model and has been for a few years. But, if you can find one, I believe the numbers are quite a bit larger than the manta. DSS makes a terrific wrist boot for it which replaces the strap with bungee, much better IMO.

Just looking at the aeris site, they have this A300 which looks something like the old atmos, but has some extra features. You might have a look at that and see if it will work for you.

I went from no prescription to using cheaters on the mask to diving with contacts, which I have been doing now for several years and have never had a problem.

I dive a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC2 (heinrichsweikamp) and would only replace it for a Petrel (if OSTCs suddenly were no longer available). I highly recommend it but if you don't need the He, the OSTC Sport (heinrichsweikamp) would be an excellent choice, in my opinion.

Some options around the Petrel $$ range.

The new LED models have by far the best readability. That includes the Petrel. Also really decent battery life.

Liquivision makes easy to read models also. Cost the same or even more than a Petrel2.

Kaon is a recreational - non-AI model for $749. Liquivision : Scuba : Kaon Download cable is extra.

kaon-400.jpg

There's also the Mares Icon - around $815 for the base model (no transmitter) I believe even the base model has an electronic compass also.

Capture.JPG

There's also the Suunto EON Steel but I think they start around a $1000. It has an electronic compass also.

Capture.JPG

Or the Oceanic VTX at $950. $300 more for the transmitter. Register and they'll send you a bungee mount for it.

oc_vtx_transmitter_3qtr_print_1.jpg

Yep, Petrel 2... my criteria is: user can change the "common" battery, good screen, and no expensive proprietary cables

(I'm curious about the Subgravity as it appears to be very readable, but might be small as its watch sized...)

I'll never buy another Mares product, the EON launch was counter productive, Liquivision uses cables, and I'm not paying for AI...

Liquivision Xeo/Xen older units have had troubles with the display fading over time (my Xen faded out after two years); also they are more difficult to read at shallow depths than a basic Uwatec LCD Bottom Timer (i.e. 10m to the 6m O2 deco stop), in the high sun glare of the underwater ambient light at tropical latitudes.

Petrel is probably the best supported and well-known option, and the current exchange rate makes it cost about $750 new for a Petrel 2 in the US before any wheeling and dealing you might be able to do with your dealer. The Seabear tech computer (larger one with the dial-based interface) might be up there too based on the pictures of its OLED screen, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom