Best dive operator in Cozumel for novice divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny how different DMs work out for different divers. When we went out with Scuba Mau, Eduardo (assuming same Eduardo as six months ago) was one of the Mau DMs I liked best--because because I liked his dive profile. We're not novice divers though. Sorry it wasn't a good fit for you.

That's why I was looking for DM "tolerating" novice divers. As I mentioned we just got certified and didn't have mush experience. He wasn't friendly to say the least.

I totally agree with DiverG. No matter who you dive with or where you dive, pay the $40-50 for a private divemaster. Since you are new to diving, having a private divemaster will leave a great feeling with you which will allow you to progress smoothly into a lifetime of addiction, uh, I mean enjoyment. :) All of these recommendations are great ones. I have seen new divers with private DM's and usually you get MUCH more than just a private DM. You get unmatched personal attention with an instruction and suggestion session. Whoever you book with and ask for a private DM, be sure to ask for one of the ops instructors as your private DM. Most, if not all, instructors I know personally, love working with new divers. Be careful of going with a large cattle boat operation that will just throw you a babysitter.

The other good thing about getting a private divemaster is that if you run out of air before the rest of the group you can come up with your dive buddy DM and let the rest of the group dive their air. There are enormous amounts of great ops and instructors. I have only dove with 4 operations and the two I can recommend are Blue XT SEA and Blue Project. Have fun!

Last edited:
INZ--I'm just curious. Is it that Eduardo wasn't as chatty/friendly as some of the divemasters, or did he say or do something that struck you as unresponsive or disdainful or something? If it's the former, I wonder if that was just his manner, and not necessarily his attitude toward newer divers. If it was the latter, well, that's not at all good. Either way, and speaking generally, DMs should be more than "tolerant" of newer divers--they should also be looking out for them a bit. And the best of them are excited to see you excited about diving. I'm not here to cheerlead for any shop or DM--we only did one day with Eduardo, and Scuba Mau isn't our most regular op--but we did find them very responsive and eager to hear of any issues a diver might have. I'm glad the bulk of your experience was good.

No one can please everyone all of the time. I'm sorry that day didn't go well, but glad they spoke to Mau and resolved the issue for the rest of the trip. I've had worse experiences to be sure; it happens...

Back
Top Bottom