Best dive site names....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isurus

Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the best/funniest/most descriptive dive site name you've come across? We've all dived a "shark reef/rock/point" with no sharks or an "anemone city" which is a...erm...rock covered in anemones but which sites had a name which caught your imagination or had a great story or just made you laugh?

Whenever people talk about Dirty Rock in Cocos it sounds like a cool site, not sure of the origin of the name though. I think the weirdest site name I've come across is Jervis bay, Australia's "the *****house" but I'm curious to hear what others have come across with imaginative names.

Well, I was on a sailing trip a few years ago and the people named a dive site "bad chicken reef" and all I can say is that I almost starved on that trip because we had no refrigeration and the ice was long gone. these people were major drinkers (unbeknownst to me) and I just watched in shock as they pulled tepid pork loin out of the cooler and proceeded to cook it. Well, they always joke about the reef name and I get the idea it should be called "Warhammer reef." That was a very unpleasant trip. Actually, I jumped off of that boat after a few days with just a credit card and swam to the Mauna Kea Resort. It took me five days to recover from just being with them and sharing a head. Those were some hard core people and to this day, I am afraid of livaboards. I am known around these parts as the "boatjumper". Everyone was asleep and hungover when I left the boat.

Oh, and on a more pleasant note, one of our Hawaiian boat captains named a new site "Keanu's reef" after this young turtle that follows us like a puppy...

Double D and G-Spot of of French Cay

My dive buddy calls everyone 'Dude', he found this nice reef no ever seems to dive, (well, we never see anyone else there), so all of our other buddies call it Dude beach.

Never been but there is a spot in Monterey called Ball Buster. I'm trying to track down where it is exactly and why it is called what it is called. Sounds pretty ominous so far though.

We also have PTP (Pinnacle of Tremendous Proportions). This one may be self explanatory.

Keg Alley

Went out with a local dive op once and we went to a heretofore undived (at least by him) site, lots and lots of barrel sponges so the brilliant idea arose of naming it Keg Alley.

Barrels/kegs of beer... get it?.......... Oh well anyway that's the best name that I can think of at the moment :)

In the bahamas we dove a site called "lobster, no lobster". It got it's name because sometimes there are lobsters, sometimes there are no lobsters....

Cannibal Rock in Komodo, named by somebody who witnessed one Komodo Dragon eating another.

Just cruised through my log looking for others; "Boia Boia Waga" in PNG has an exotic ring to it and I like the complete lack of pretense in the naming of "Similan #8", though I'm sure somebody couldn't resist renaming it by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom