Best Dive sites...Cancun or Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A recent article in Sport Diver magazine made reference to really good dive sites off Cancun. I was leaning toward Playa but now ??? Any comments/suggestions.

Tuckster :11:

Tuckster:
A recent article in Sport Diver magazine made reference to really good dive sites off Cancun. I was leaning toward Playa but now ??? Any comments/suggestions.

Hmmm... I have never heard of any dive sites in Cancun. I like the diving in Playa because you can mix it up with some Cenote and Cozumel dives.

When are you going to Playa? I'm heading down in a few weeks (weather permitting).

My Husband and I went to cancun the beginning of August and we dove in Cancun, Cancun actually had great diving if you want to see marine life. We did 4 dives in Cancun and 2 in Cozumel. The difference is Cozumel is more the coral and Cancun the marine life. I enjoyed diving Cancun and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Denise

Thanks for the feed back. How long were the rides to the sites ?? Where did you stay & who did you dive with ?? :06:

Tuckster:

I recommend the book Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun, & the Riviera Maya, by Lawson Wood. A local guide will of course have more detailed info for you, but until you get there this will give you a good idea of some of the dive sites near Cancun & Isla Mujeres, and how they differ from those further South.

Jerry

I just got back from a week in Cancun. Not having ever dived around Playa, I can't give you a comparison, just my thoughts on Cancun.
The dives around the Cancun area were nice drift dives, with currents ranging from slight to moderate (during my stay that is, with the current hurricane....). There was a good variety of different marine life, and some of the coral formations were very colorful. Saw a turtle, a sting ray, spider shrimp, various eels and of course a lot of fish. The boat rides from the dock to the sites were usually only around 10-20 minutes, and the seas were pretty calm with only around 1' waves. The boat we were on had a sun shade over nearly the whole thing, and so did most others I saw. So being in the boat was neither uncomfortable nor sickening. The surface intervals were spent on the boat between dives, usually half of that was spent motoring to the next site. All my dives were at around 50 feet.
However the reefs looked well used and abused from too many cruise ships disgorging too many uncareful or uncaring divers.

For a truely unique and fascinating dive time, I wouldn't pass up doing a Cenote dive though.
My dives were through Manta Divers. I thought the DM's at Manta were well experienced, and knowledgable of their dive areas. I particularly enjoyed diving with Maurice, and their Cenote leader Lief. Lief deserves special mention as he was by far among the most professional, thorough and comfortable dive leaders I've had the pleasure of diving with.
Manta Divers themselves seem a bit disorganized, and I'm not completely satisfied with the service I received from them. But all our dives were with only 2 - 6 divers (a far cry from some of the cattle boats I saw).

I have dived Cancun, Playa, and Cozumel, They all have great dives but there are trade offs. If you are strictly going to dive the reefs by all means go to Cozumel. I didn't see any more fish in Cancun and they have good coral reefs one of my favorites was the light house by Isla Mujeres.
I think the biggest differences are on land. Cancun has some great flight bargains and is party headquarters if you are into that sort of thing. My wife likes the shopping in Cancun best there are 3 major malls and lots of international shops along with the usual Mexican stuff.
Although Playa and Coz has a lot of the same things not in the numbers and the prices at the shops aren't quit as good.
If you are into eco tourism and Mayan culture then Playa or Akumal might be your first choice closer to the better ruins and the Cenotes. The reefs off Playa are very good I have a favorite Operator there I like to dive with better than anyone I have ever dove with. Everyone takes you to Playa's signature dive Tortugas but my favorite dive there is Moc-che or Mooche depending on whose map you look at.
Cozumel is Cozumel maybe the finest drift diving in the world. I defiantly think the reefs and the aquatic life is better there. Unfortunately sometimes the current can be so fast you have trouble slowing down to take them in. I conceder San Miguel to be the safest and most friendly city in the Caribbean very dive orientated Unfortunately between us divers and the cruise ships there is very little Mexican flavor left.
I would return to any place I have been in the Yucatan in a heart beat and would hate to have to choose just one so I guess you have to make the choice based on what it is you want from your vacation.

You mention a favorite operator... can you tell us who... getting ready to go to Playa... open water divers with very FEW dives... will be staying down by Playa and would love any thoughts or advice. Thanks! Also... any places that you can dive and snorkel...(some of the family doesn't dive). Thanks

AmyJ:
You mention a favorite operator... can you tell us who... getting ready to go to Playa... open water divers with very FEW dives... will be staying down by Playa and would love any thoughts or advice. Thanks! Also... any places that you can dive and snorkel...(some of the family doesn't dive). Thanks

:froggy: :froggy: Around the corner offf 5th ave. on the left hand side facing the sea on Calle 8 is Dive Mike. His web sight is http://www.divemike.com/ And his E-mail address is info@divemike.com Be sure to tell him Steve from Kansas say's hi :froggy: :froggy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom