Best dive trip location for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, I need to send you some books. I've been so busy that I almost forgot until I saw this thread, but I will get them to you. :)

Anyways, I would suggest Cozumel and it's not even close. In fact, I just got back from Cozumel 2 weeks ago and we are returning in February. I've been to the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, & Key West, so I haven't been everywhere, but for the money and diving Cozumel rocks. There are plenty of shallow dives. In fact, I agreed to do several when I was there. Compare the travel time and money costs to other places and you will be shocked. Some of the places mentioned don't have all inclusive resorts and food and drink costs will really add up.

The great thing about drift diving in Coz is that it's effortless and relaxing. There is a nightlife on Cozumel and if you want to get really crazy you can venture over to Cancun by ferry. There is a ton of shopping and the weather is great. PM me if you have any other questions.

Hi Rhone,
I will consider your suggestions next time when I will plan for a dive trip.
As you said Grand Cayman is expensive, what will be your choice if you had to choose between Cozumel and Bonaire?

First off, I need to send you some books. I've been so busy that I almost forgot until I saw this thread, but I will get them to you. :)

Anyways, I would suggest Cozumel and it's not even close. In fact, I just got back from Cozumel 2 weeks ago and we are returning in February. I've been to the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, & Key West, so I haven't been everywhere, but for the money and diving Cozumel rocks. There are plenty of shallow dives. In fact, I agreed to do several when I was there. Compare the travel time and money costs to other places and you will be shocked. Some of the places mentioned don't have all inclusive resorts and food and drink costs will really add up.

The great thing about drift diving in Coz is that it's effortless and relaxing. There is a nightlife on Cozumel and if you want to get really crazy you can venture over to Cancun by ferry. There is a ton of shopping and the weather is great. PM me if you have any other questions.

I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago, that I needed to get you some books, and some applications to join some random groups too maybe! :) Lol! No worries about that as I won't have time to get into any books until June 21.

I have been briefly looking around since I started this thread. (Most of my major comparisions will come after June 21, due to my big event I've been planning for the last 6 months being on June 20.) I did find a trip to Coz with my LDS for Feb 24 (or 25)-Mar 3, for all inclusive food, drinks, diving, hotel, airfare for $1700. What do you think of that price? When are you going?

Hi Rhone,
I will consider your suggestions next time when I will plan for a dive trip.
As you said Grand Cayman is expensive, what will be your choice if you had to choose between Cozumel and Bonaire?

I haven't actually be to either, so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt, but I'd probably take Bonaire. Slightly better rep and (for me) easier to get to.

But I think it is a bit like choosing between Natalie Portman and Rachel McAdams. You are on to a winner either way.

You are a lawyer, are you not? Rhetorical question....

We lawyers only lie when paid to do so.

My friends and I are starting to make plans for a dive trip for next February and thought I would get suggestions since you guys know a TON more than I do about diving.

We are not set on February, but I'm set on getting out of KC in the winter! We'd like to do a 7-10 day trip. I know that several days in a row diving is going to teach me a lot, so I'd like to get a lot of time in the water. Cost is a factor of course, but not the only decision maker. I'm hoping to have AOW at least by then (though I'd like to get Rescue as well). Two of the girls will be OW, and I don't know the cert level of the guy going. We'd also enjoy going with a group of people if anyone knows of large groups planning trips around this time.

We've talked about Cozumel, Bonaire and Grand Cayman. Since I've never been to any of those locations, what do you think is best for a beginner OR is there another location that's better?

THANKS! :D

Jeni,

I've read all the above posts. Check out this spot on Roatan's west end: Roatan Hotel Dive Resort SPLASH INN West End Honduras. It is a small dive operatikon with hotel and restaurant. The rooms, food and diving are very reasonable. Flights are direct from houston and other places and it is a 25 min taxi from airport. All boat dives are done from the dock. Go for a dive & return, off gas
then go on next dive. You do not spend time waiting on boat to do next dive. Lots of places to eat reasonable. Fun beach village.

I leave Saturday for Grand Cayman, diving the Flower Gardens in June and July and after July we'll be on Roatan for 2 1/2 months. If you should have any question feel free to PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom