Best Dive Watch Ever...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a plain jane CWC Automatic with a green NATO strap.

My last watch was a Rolex Sea-dweller and I actually dived it for a while but was never completely comfortable with the risk of flooding a $4500 watch!!
The Rolex stopped after 2 years of ownership- it was serviced under warranty and was good again but I sold it at that point because any expensive watch that stops after only two years and scratches so easily is not for me.
Strangely I get lot's of comments on the CWC by both men and women, no-one ever said anything about the Rolex but maybe people just don't acknowledge Rolex's because of the perceived snob value or whatever!

I have a ****ton of watches. Here are a few good ones for diving.

Cheap:

Invicta 8926 (its a wonderful sumariner homage, built very well, ive had mine for 3yrs)

Zodiac Sea Wolf

Citizen Eco-Zilla (i like it in Titanium but have it in steel, its HEAVY)

As I said in an earlier post I have a Citizen 20th Anniversary Aqualand, recently purchased.

I use a Suunto Mosquito while diving along with another panel type AI computer. I may well wear the Aqualand as well.

I have a Rolex GMT Master that I got as a retirement gift from my wife. I do swim with it on occassion; however, I don't dive with it. Having a Rolex is one of those things an 'old' Special Forces soldiers aspired to have in the 60's & 70's.

The Rolex has been a good watch I have never had it repaired or cleaned and it's over 20 years old now. It isn't as accurate as come of the inexpensive battery driven watches, but its only looses a few seconds or so.

Over the years of diving I had many so called diving watches. I remember one that I got from US Divers (Late 50's) that was made in France. During a class on Atomic weapons, the Army had a device they kept in a lead lined case, that was used to get readings on our radiation detectors. My diving watch got higher readings than the device! It sure was bright in the dark though! :eyebrow:

In the Special Operations community now, a lot of operators use the Casio G-shock variations, as well as Suunto non-dive specific models, especially the one with GPS. There are tactical options that need to be considered in the use of any watch in the military. Black watches are very popular for this reason. That said the ones that give off a lot of light at night need to be covered up.

I love the diver's watches (primarily desk divers these days) and I'm an ardent Omega fan but does anyone have any input on the Oceanic Geo? Looks like a nice everyday wearer that can serve as a computer as well. Oh, and the price is a fraction of the automatics!

I know it's been mentioned in other forums, but thought this may fit into a watch forum.

Rolex submariner date. I've had one for over ten years now and it's bulletproof. I've dove it lots as well. That new sea dweller deep sea has caught my eye though.

Disaster has struck, Citizen no longer replace the batteries.
Now I have a favorite paperweight.
It was a great dive watch but now I am on the lookout for a replacement.

An early Citizen Aqualand, only logs max depth and dive time plus 2 alarms for max depth and max time.
Great watch, I love it and use it as a backup all the time.
Only flaw is the strap. Rubber and I have had 2 fail on me, one showed signs of splitting so I replaced it. The second split with no warning and fell off, fortunatly I was not diving at the time and caught it.
Yes when I move somewher I can dive regularly I will replace it with another citizen but I will get a different strap that does not rely on both pins and is not made of rubber.

I routinely replace batteries on my Citizens. Batteries and o-rings are available. A case-back wrench is advised .... if it's an older model it probably has tiny screws.

I routinely replace batteries on my Citizens. Batteries and o-rings are available. A case-back wrench is advised .... if it's an older model it probably has tiny screws.

It has screws (6).
It used 3 silver-oxide power cells, no documentaion on what type.
I will have to search or open it up.
Is there any real reason to change the O rings, or is it just to be safe?

Disaster has struck, Citizen no longer replace the batteries.
Now I have a favorite paperweight.
It was a great dive watch but now I am on the lookout for a replacement.

Uh oh... Where is the info that Citizen no longer replaces batteries? The website still indicates that you can mail in your watch for service, CITIZENWATCH.com | Welcome to Citizen Watches Online Does that not include battery replacement?

I sent my Aqualand in last year to have the batteries replaced and didn't have any problem. Believe it or not, I couldn't find anyplace near me that was willing to change the batteries with any kind of assurance that it would remain waterproof...

Steve

The O-ring or gasket is probably reusable .... but I like to have one available in case it becomes damaged when the back is removed. Not likely but always a possibility. I believe the bats are SR920W or Energizer 370 (needs 3 of them). Do the work in an air-conditioned room to prevent moisture from entering .... and causing the inside of the crystal to fog when you go outdoors. Here in the U.S. I buy batteries online in packs of 10 for about $.60 per battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom