Best diving before/after Tubattaha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krist3l

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked a liveaboard (the new Oceanic III) to Tubbataha May 2-8 2019 and would love some guidance on how to best maximize the time outside of the 6-night liveaboard window.

We can arrive in the Philippines on Apr 27/28, which gives us 3 nights before we get on the ship. We will most likely return on May 9/10, which gives us 3 or 4 more nights after the liveaboard. The dates are somewhat flexible, so we could give ourselves more or less time on either end.

We were hoping to do some land-based diving before the liveaboard to acclimatize, but my Puerto Princesa-based friend says that there's nothing spectacular for experienced divers. "Just bad mass diving business. I won't recommend diving anywhere in Palawan if you are doing Tubbataha."

I've seen mentions of Anilao but it seems like a trek to get there. Same with Malapascua. (Is there even an easy way to get from Malapascua to Puerto Princesa)? The Apo Reef is probably too far for us as well.

As far as land-based activities, El Nido sounds like a tourist trap. Port Barton is supposed to be really cool, very basic and they dont have ATMs, credit card machines, etc. My PADI Travel sales rep absolutely loved Coron, which is supposedly hard to get to. Modesso Island looks pretty.

Should we fly to Cebu and get a ferry to Tagbilaran, in Bohol, and explore the island? Balicasag sounds great as well. I guess then we're stuck trying to get from Tagbilaran to Puerto Princesa.

What about the underground river, or diving in other nearby parts of the country?

We're trying to decide which cities to fly in and out of, in order to nail down flights soon. Any input and suggestions is very greatly appreciated!

I went to Tubbataha this year. We flew to Manila, connected to Puerto Princesa right away. Went to Tubbataha (Discovery Fleet). Got off in PP, took a private van transfer to El Nido (5-6 hours) then dived on a safari from El Nido to Coron while seeing the WWII wrecks along the way. We ate and dived on the liveaboard and slept in guest houses and hotels at night. We got off the safari in Coron. We flew from Coron back to Manila. You can probably end your trip there and fly home. We continued back down to Puerto Galera to dive which was still good. Not as good as Tubs but worthwhile. Good macro and reef scenes while Verde Island is not to be missed.

Do keep in mind travel in and around the Philippines can be a bit more challenging. Transit time, schedules can get thrown off. The Visayas is not the easiest to get around, either. Honestly, I would not aim to do much before the liveaboard. Give yourself time to arrive and cushion with delays then go exploring after the liveaboard when there is a bit more flexibility. I always worry about missing the liveaboard.

With your current schedule as is, a few days before and after doesn’t leave much time to do anything given transit times and no fly times if you are going to dive. Move the dates slightly so you can get more time before or after. I suggest after. I will say the disadvantage to ensuring you make your liveaboard and diving Tubs first is that everything else will seem less spectacular in comparison....

I would try to avoid Manila airport if you can. It’s a cluster. You can try flying into Cebu internationally then connecting to Puerto Princesa domestically that way. I looked into this option and flying into Cebu was 50-75% more when we booked our airfare. I didn’t think it was worth it so we went through Manila but do explore the option.

Here are the options I'm seeing:

1.) Arrive in Cebu on Apr 26, which would give us 6 nights before we have to be in Puerto Princesa for the liveaboard, dive in Malapascua for a few days. Would 3 be enough to see the thresher sharks and other highlights?

2.) Do a safari from El Nido to Coron *after* our liveaboard, flying out of Manila. Wrecks.

3.) Fly to to Cebu, taking the ferry to Tagbilaran (Bohol), and exploring the island before heading onwards to Puerto Princesa. No idea what's there!

or

4.) Try to fold in Anilao somehow, but I know it's more known for macro and nudis which aren't super interesting to me personally. Saw a ton of them recently.

Here are the options I'm seeing:

1.) Arrive in Cebu on Apr 26, which would give us 6 nights before we have to be in Puerto Princesa for the liveaboard, dive in Malapascua for a few days. Would 3 be enough to see the thresher sharks and other highlights?

2.) Do a safari from El Nido to Coron *after* our liveaboard, flying out of Manila. Wrecks.

3.) Fly to to Cebu, taking the ferry to Tagbilaran (Bohol), and exploring the island before heading onwards to Puerto Princesa. No idea what's there!

or

4.) Try to fold in Anilao somehow, but I know it's more known for macro and nudis which aren't super interesting to me personally. Saw a ton of them recently.

Getting to Malapascua is quite a trek to get in and to get out, so if you only have 3 days, including no fly time, on top of having to be in Puerto Princesa by a certain time (extra pressure), that may not be feasible. I looked into this option for April (after other diving elsewhere)for myself and given the effort, if you only have a day or 2 and then have to turnaround, I don't know how worth it that will be. You do want to be able to dive a few mornings to catch the threshers and increase your chances. I have friends that used to work in Malapascua or have visited and they say the diving outside of looking for the threshers is quite boring so you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't have time to do any other diving there. Everyone is different so take that how you will and decide for yourself. :)

Puerto Galera has decent macro, though not as focused as Anilao, and has some quite nice wide angle reefs. I'm into macro but my 2 other dive buddies were not and they enjoyed Puerto. Verde Island, not far from there and run as day trips, would be right up your alley!

Thanks for these suggestions! How long was the safari from El Nido to Coron? I wonder if we could do that trip the other way around, arriving in the Philippines earlier and traveling all the way down to Puerto Princesa in time for our liveaboard... But that would involve landing in Manila and dealing with that mess.

Getting to Malapascua is quite a trek to get in and to get out, so if you only have 3 days, including no fly time, on top of having to be in Puerto Princesa by a certain time (extra pressure), that may not be feasible. I looked into this option for April (after other diving elsewhere)for myself and given the effort, if you only have a day or 2 and then have to turnaround, I don't know how worth it that will be. You do want to be able to dive a few mornings to catch the threshers and increase your chances. I have friends that used to work in Malapascua or have visited and they say the diving outside of looking for the threshers is quite boring so you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't have time to do any other diving there. Everyone is different so take that how you will and decide for yourself. :)

Puerto Galera has decent macro, though not as focused as Anilao, and has some quite nice wide angle reefs. I'm into macro but my 2 other dive buddies were not and they enjoyed Puerto. Verde Island, not far from there and run as day trips, would be right up your alley!

We would actually have 6 nights if we fly into Cebu early (have to be in Puerto Princesa on day 6). But maybe dropping into water with thrasher sharks is not the best idea when you're jetlagged...

Getting to Malapascua is quite a trek to get in and to get out, so if you only have 3 days, including no fly time, on top of having to be in Puerto Princesa by a certain time (extra pressure), that may not be feasible.

Thanks for these suggestions! How long was the safari from El Nido to Coron? I wonder if we could do that trip the other way around, arriving in the Philippines earlier and traveling all the way down to Puerto Princesa in time for our liveaboard... But that would involve landing in Manila and dealing with that mess.

You can ask Submariner and see what they say. It was 4 days, 3 nights. about 12 dives.

We will be on the same boat with you. We have actually decided to book back to back trips,2 may-8 may and 9 may-15 may, instead of trying to figure out where else to travel to, and to again dive.

Craig1225, my partner and I will be on the boat with you for your 2nd week!

We are booked back to back also but for May 2 - 22/19!! lol

I was just reading this thread and was sad that we weren't booked at the same time as Krist3l, but now we know you... want to add me on FB? - Jody Lynn Clark from New Westminster, BC Canada

Back
Top Bottom