Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also disagree with the double computer approach.

Having two computers is an absolute necessity for me.
I lead dives where the majority of my clients are holiday divers, and the majority of these divers don't even have their own mask. I can abort the dive, but everybody would have a long face, and if the malfunction occurs during the first dive, what happens to the second dive? We run double dives.
I could use a bottom timer, but if I strap another device on my wrist, why not make it a full functioning computer? And as I mentioned before, my backup computer is in my console, so I don't even have to think about it.

I think I'm going to buy a Shearwater to use in my shower just in case the light goes out.
I hear it's waterproof.

And purchase a TDC-3 for diving. Works with my software:)

I think I'm going to buy a Shearwater to use in my shower just in case the light goes out.
I hear it's waterproof.

And purchase a TDC-3 for diving. Works with my software:)

Hi George,

I don't understand why two posters decided to flame you. I thought your posts were well stated. All you did was give your professional opinion and your preferences. Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Having been a professional mariner, redundancy on the ocean is a priority for me. Having two computers saved a day's worth of diving for me while at Santa Cruz Island on a liveaboard trip. And, I did not have to "borrow" a spare computer from someone else to continue diving on subsequent days.

Redundancy and the American Express card--priceless!

Whether you buy a Shearwater or not does not matter to me. Having the opportunity to communicate with someone from Greece has been enjoyable.

Thanks for enlivening my day,
markm

I wouldn't say that. I have 4K dives with no DCS symptoms ever. Job well done! Isn't that the reason we use computers?

Using a Ferrari to commute to work in busy streets gives you no more advantages than commuting with a Toyota or Ford or whatever else cheaper model car.

Of course that's my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...
Everybody's got one!

Hey George, me again,

I disagree with your analogy of a Shearwater to a Ferrari.

First off, the Shearwater is very reliable (best in the business) and the Ferrari, not at all.

Better analogies:
  1. an M1A3 Abrams tank verses a Russian T90 tank;
  2. a 787 Dreamliner verses an A300;
  3. an F22 Raptor verses an F15 Eagle.
Cutting edge, more durable, best reliability history, best warranty and repair service, and user friendly verses a Hyundai or Kia. Hyundai and Kia cars are good cars, but they are not Mercedes Benz.

Trust me, Mercedes Benz cars are worth what you pay for them, and Toyotas are second best. And the rest....

To iterate a previous poster, I believe a person should buy a $300 or less computer or buy the Mercedes Benz (Shearwater), either rec or tech.

Cheers,
markm

I don't understand why two posters decided to flame you. I thought your posts were well stated. All you did was give your professional opinion and your preferences. Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Having been a professional mariner, redundancy on the ocean is a priority for me. Having two computers saved a days worth of diving for me while at Santa Cruz Island on a liveaboard trip. And, I did not have to "borrow" a spare computer from someone else to continue diving on subsequent days.

Redundancy and the American Express card--priceless!

Whether you buy a Shearwater or not does not matter to me. Having the opportunity to communicate with someone from Greece has been enjoyable.

Thanks for enlivening my day,
markm

Hi Mark,

Likewise, it's always a pleasure to chat with other divers around the world.
Being torched a bit doesn't bother me, and my comment about purchases was purely sarcastical, which you obviously picked up. It's not in my personality trades to flame back. Everybody's entitled to their opinions, whether or not I agree with them is a different story. I present my opinion and that's it.
Thanks for reaching out!

I also disagree with the double computer approach. Correct usage means you pretty much know what the computer would tell you due to frequent consultation, should it fail mid-dive, the result is the immediate ascent, alone conservatively or ideally with your buddy's computer, and the backup a general dive status and plan awareness in your head. I'd much rather recommend a new diver to buy the best computer he or she can afford vs two lesser models with the same budget.
"Immediate ascent on failure" only works if you don't care that much about the dive you're on, or the next dive. When I've spent lots to travel halfway around the world to dive and am seeing something incredible, I don't want to bail on the dive because something happened to my computer (it doesn't even have to fail, maybe it falls overboard.) Or skip the next dive because I don't have a computer with my current status. Or attempt to argue "I have it all in my head" to the crew - who I can assure you aren't going to buy that.

I could have the "best" most reliable computer on the market, and I'd still dive with a backup.

"When I've spent lots to travel halfway around the world to dive and am seeing something incredible, I don't want to bail on the dive because something happened to my computer (it doesn't even have to fail, maybe it falls overboard.)

Hi Damselfish,

Your sentence above nails it, seals the deal, and is right on.

My philosophy to a tee. I carry basic repair items and a spare first stage and second stage reg on my travels. I travel with a spare mask that fits my ugly head. I have a spare fin strap for my fins (fits my wife's fins also).

$5,000 +- on a trip and I am going to cheap-out on some redundant items? No way.

Cheers,
markm

I get that philosophy when spending thousands on trips and being stuck on boats for days. I do my diving locally and whilst cutting a dive short or sitting out the second tank on a boat dive is a bummer, it would not break my heart. The cost of a backup comp would take me on multiple half day boat trips. So as always, it is a matter of individual situation.

I went to Chuuk ten years ago. In the middle of the trip, my dive buddies computer failed. He had to spend a day sitting on the deck while the rest of us dove. From that trip on, I have worn a second computer. My primary is a Perdix AI and the backup is my old Oceanic VT3. They both communicate with the transmitter on my regulator.

Hi Damselfish,

Your sentence above nails it, seals the deal, and is right on.

My philosophy to a tee. I carry basic repair items and a spare first stage and second stage reg on my travels. I travel with a spare mask that fits my ugly head. I have a spare fin strap for my fins (fits my wife's fins also).

$5,000 +- on a trip and I am going to cheap-out on some redundant items? No way.

Cheers,
markm

Back
Top Bottom