Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My training was to get the victim and myself vertical, using my left hand to hold up their inflator, to dump gas during the ascent (possibly switching to my own, as well, as needed), and right hand reaching around to hold the reg in their mouth.

So how do you avoid dropping them or being left behind if one hand is on the inflator and one on their regulator?

TBH this all sounds like rationalising post purchase.

I dive in the UK and most of my rescue stuff happens in Uk quarries and a large part was with Suuntos. The least of my troubles was knowing the depth.

What did divers use in poor viz before "back-light" became common on DC?
My Uwatec Aladin doesn't has any.

What did divers use in poor viz before "back-light" became common on DC?

Me I didn't go very far - I went as far as I thought I could and still get back without getting hurt. I would be within reach of a rock face or shallow enough to pop up and do a recon...
Now with a Perdix I push beyond that boundary - it really just depends on what you are looking for and how far you are willing to go... With the new bells and whistles you still need to know your limits - but you can definitely push further and feel confident you can get back... YMMV

I'd like to thank the members that get back with their feedback, especially DD.

My choice is narrowed down to:
- Perdix AI: 900EUR
- Perdix AI + transmitter: 1250EUR
- Suunto Eon Steel + transmitter: 850EUR

I initially dismissed the Eon Steel because I saw multiple reports online of the computer getting in error during deep dives.
But considering DD's experience with multiple Eon Steel computers I guess these were just freak occurrences.

Provided I already have a Suunto Vyper it makes more sense to get another Suunto so both decompression algorithms are the same. It's also cheaper.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

I initially dismissed the Eon Steel because I saw multiple reports online of the computer getting in error during deep dives.
But considering DD's experience with multiple Eon Steel computers I guess these were just freak occurrences.

Provided I already have a Suunto Vyper it makes more sense to get another Suunto so both decompression algorithms are the same. It's also cheaper.

Hi R4cOOn,

You will be happy with any of those computers you listed. I just bought the Perdix ai. I have dived with them before. Suunto products are very good.

Welcome to Scubaboard.

:cheers:
markm

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the Vyper and Eon Steel do not use the same algorithm. The Vyper uses Suunto RGBM and the Eon Steel uses Suunto Fused RGBM. Just because they both have RGBM in the name does not mean they are the same.

I *think* you can even find posts from DD confirming that the algorithm used by the Vyper is pretty conservative, where the Eon is pretty liberal. But, I am simplifying greatly here.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the Vyper and Eon Steel do not use the same algorithm. The Vyper uses Suunto RGBM and the Eon Steel uses Suunto Fused RGBM. Just because they both have RGBM in the name does not mean they are the same.

I *think* you can even find posts from DD confirming that the algorithm used by the Vyper is pretty conservative, where the Eon is pretty liberal. But, I am simplifying greatly here.

Hi Stuart and R4c00n,

DD does mention the differences in algorithm in some of the Suunto offerings. He does not mention the Viper. Interesting read though. If I had to bet, using the info DD posted, I say the Viper does not use the same algorithm as the Eon Steel. Don't know for sure.

One of DD's posts regarding this issue:
Best diving computer on the Market

cheers,
markm

I guess I should have posted links. I googled it before I posted. The Suunto site says the Vyper uses "Suunto RGBM" and it says the Eon Steel uses "Suunto Fused RGBM".

You can confirm this and read about the differences here:

Suunto RGBM Dive Algorithms

If you're looking for the "best" computer, the Suunto Eon Core is the newer and better than the Eon Steel

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom