Best diving in Southeast Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ella

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice?

I'm flying out to Vietnam next week (end of Feb) to meet my dad and want to take him away for a week so that he can do his PADI (I did mine in november in the red sea). I want to take him somewhere with amazing coral and fish so that he will become a diving convert (he's a bit unsure about it at the moment, but know if we went somewhere amazing he'd be blown away by it). We can fly anywhere within southeast asia- I'd be happy to travel further if it meant ending up somewhere amazing. We wouldn't want to go anywhere too touristy (I've done parts of Thailand and found it a bit too packed with westerners). We prob wouldn't want to spend a week on a boat, more likely stay somewhere (pref somewhere beautiful on land also) and go out on a boat each day. Going back to the same spot would be ok too as he'll be doing a PADI and I'm a beginner really, so we wouldn't need to be somewhere with lots of different dive spots, just one amazing one really. Also, would need to take into consideration the weather at this time of year. Have been looking into Redang off Malaya, but looks like it might be a little too early as the season seems to start in March.

So, if anyone has any ideas I'd be most appreciative!! Thanks in advance, Ella

I haven't been to a million places but I sure enjoyed Lankayan Island off of Sabah! Quiet little island with a ton of dive sites. Good food and fun staff. Only one resort/PADI dive center on the island.
I am going to Mabul to dive Sipadan in May so I suspect my new favorite will be Sipadan. I have heard it is just "blow you out of the water" great! Looking forward to it!
Very cool that you are diving with your Dad!
Susie

I would second the PG, Philippines vote. Atlantis is a great hotel and dive shop but there are several there to chose from. A big plus there is going diving and then back to hotel after each dive. Great house reef dives as well.

Dumaguete (Central Philippines) is better than Puerto Gallera, if you ask me. Several guys who've been there told me that PG is kinda crowded, dive resorts sitting side-by-side in a stretch of beach, and the people who go there are mostly the partying-type. Dumaguete is more laid back with more stuff to do and see topside. Diving here is great for all levels. Heard of ApoIsland? One of the bestest sites in the Philippines.

Ella:
Hi everyone, was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice?

I'm flying out to Vietnam next week (end of Feb) to meet my dad and want to take him away for a week so that he can do his PADI (I did mine in november in the red sea). I want to take him somewhere with amazing coral and fish so that he will become a diving convert (he's a bit unsure about it at the moment, but know if we went somewhere amazing he'd be blown away by it). We can fly anywhere within southeast asia- I'd be happy to travel further if it meant ending up somewhere amazing. We wouldn't want to go anywhere too touristy (I've done parts of Thailand and found it a bit too packed with westerners). We prob wouldn't want to spend a week on a boat, more likely stay somewhere (pref somewhere beautiful on land also) and go out on a boat each day. Going back to the same spot would be ok too as he'll be doing a PADI and I'm a beginner really, so we wouldn't need to be somewhere with lots of different dive spots, just one amazing one really. Also, would need to take into consideration the weather at this time of year. Have been looking into Redang off Malaya, but looks like it might be a little too early as the season seems to start in March.

So, if anyone has any ideas I'd be most appreciative!! Thanks in advance, Ella

you might want to consider Anilao too... it's a great place to do your dad's OW course and for you to get some experience... it's where most local divers get their fins wet.

lots of choices too if you want simple or adventure dives... and all this 2 hours from manila... sea life is also amazing and without the crowd of divers underwater or topside

Jag

Hi Susie
If you would like to know more about Sipadan send me a message after March 6th and I'll do my best to get you excited. I'm off there in a week or so for 11 days at Kapali water village.
Regards
Daz

sorry, .didnt c u spefically ask for Vietnam. THought u need advice for any place in Asia. So i Deleted my previous message.

marku:
Dumaguete (Central Philippines) is better than Puerto Gallera, if you ask me. Several guys who've been there told me that PG is kinda crowded, dive resorts sitting side-by-side in a stretch of beach, and the people who go there are mostly the partying-type. Dumaguete is more laid back with more stuff to do and see topside. Diving here is great for all levels. Heard of ApoIsland? One of the bestest sites in the Philippines.

Just been in Dumaguete! Apo island is not not as good as it usually is! water is colder than normal! 25 degrees C, some spots only 24. I know what I'm talking about - was there last year same time! Of course that gave me some expectations. It's always a good dive spot anyway. I'm just comparing my logs from last year with the dives from now.

But if u go there anyway I still dont think you'd be disappointed, guess im just a little spoilt!

Have a nice trip! and if u need a resort, take 'Pura Vida' - Dauin - Dumaguete. Its less than a year old, with excellent dive facilities! If u go there, please say hello from Jimmy - Vietnam!

Enough recommendations, I'll be boarding my liveaboard to burma banks tomorrow - I think I'm in heaven!

It is a little further, but Manado is great. If you want to splurge a little more, stay at the Lembeh Strait Resort (or is it Lembeh Resort, keep getting their names mixed up, they are 2 different resorts). It is mainly muck diving which is nice a shallow in that area.

At that resort, there is a house reef a 30 second fin from the pier which is a 2 minute walk from your room where there are resident Mandarin Fish and Seahorses. You'll see many wonderful things like Frog Fish, Pygmy Seahorse, Pegasus, Mimic Octopus, Blue Ring Octopus, ...etc.

Taken off a friend's Logbook...

"Jumped into the water expecting another great dive, but when we got down, what a dump. The site had a black sand bottom and there was so much garbage (literally). But on closer observation, what an abundance of strange and exotic life. We played with the Mimic Octopus for 20 minutes ....."

Of course if you are up for more challenging dives, there are great walls that drop 200 meters; some say that there are Bull Sharks that visit the walls and would 'sniff' divers. There are some operations that are Tech ready.

Since you were thinking of Redang, my personal preference on the East Coast of Malaysia is Tioman and Aur. I found Redang a little disappointing; our snorkling there was better than the diving. But like Redand, the season won't start until March.

Back
Top Bottom