Best Diving in the Lesser Antilles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't go to StLucia for the diving I think you would disappointed.I just got back from a month their there is no large stuff unless you can dive the north end where the eagle rays are and that is based on the weather conditions.The diving was OK to good some the reefs are in very bad shape.Talking to a charter captain their he said the Tobago cays was excellent unspoiled diving. It is aprox 7-8 hr sail from St Lucia.

Hi,

I'm a PADI Advanced Open Water diver who has been to most of the good dive locations in the Caribbean.

However, I've never been to any of the Lesser Antilles islands. Which one has the best diving? I like good vis & large marine life.

I'll be going the beginning of April.

Thanks for the info!

Barry

Only place I've been to in the Caribbean that would qualify for "large marine life" (=sharks) is Providenciales, T&C YouTube - Old Shark and Big Shark Caicos Adventures is a very good operator. Of course, this is not the Lesser Antilles

I suppose the Bahamas could qualify but I have no experience there.

Good diving, Craig

I wound up diving with The Dive Shop in Barbados. Very accommadating, friendly staff, good prices. My DM Julian was very good. I was interested in taking pics so on the second dive he split me and any pic taker from the other group so we wouldn't feel rushed. We had a few divers doing their certification dives so the first dive (Accra) was a 60' reef drift dive. 3 turtles, large eel, plenty of different small fish, good variety of coral, some spotted an eagle ray. Second dive was shallower with 5 different small wrecks, cannons, and anchors scattered about - I think it was Pieces of Eight. We had to wade thru the surf to the boat, no problems, only @ 75' offshore. Second dives was only about 1/4 mile away but it beat a surface swim. Equipment was well worn but seemed to be in good operating shape. If I was going to be staying on the island I'd definitely take my own gear, I would also definitely dive with them again.

I really liked Bonaire for the quantity of fish life. Saba is a unique diving experience that shouldn't be missed. Usually saw reef sharks or Black tipped on the pinnacles. Just dove with some very large eagle rays and dolphins off of Turneffe and saw one of the largest loggerhead turtles off of half moon caye. But normally, not a large amount of big stuff in the Caribbean.

Thanks for the input. I've been to Bonaire which was good. However, I'd like to go somewhere new. I've never been to any of the Windward Islands.

I hear good things about Dominica but can't find a flight there that doesn't take 2 days both ways (I'm coming from Detroit). I've also heard the diving isn't bad off St. Lucia.

Any recommendations along w/ preferred Dive Ops?

thanks.

Barry

Of that group, one of the two we have been to I would rate top are Dominica diving with East Carib Dive. Harald and Bea were like finding cousins in the Caribbean we'd never met before, and the ITME research group was also using them for diving - so you could ask questions of the PhD marine biologist and his grad students while we were on the boat! They had a nice house reef as well. It's away from the two major population centers on the island (which is what we seek) and was great topside as well.

about us

We were living in Northern Ohio at that time and flew from Cleveland on AA through Miami with an overnight in San Juan, but no overnight on return to San Juan to JFK to Cleveland. You can try seeing if flying to Martinique of Guadeloupe and catching a ferry that services these 3 islands for island transfers gets you any better flight arrangements.

The other one is St. Eustatius diving with Golden Rock. Very laid-back, unhurried island.

Golden Rock Dive Center ~ St. Eustatius (Statia), Dutch West Indies

Our first trip there was combined with a Saba trip, our second trip there wasn't. Saba just wasn't our cup of tea for diving but the island and people and different ecologies at different altitudes were nice. Saba is probably your best bet for big marine life.

Winair or ferries are available for island transfers after you land on St. Maarten to get to Saba and St. Eustatius. we've only used Winair; we only had 1 hiccup with WinAir at the end of our second St. Eustatius trip - due to some mechanical breakdown issue they sent a very small airplan that day and there was only enough airplane to take people and carryons, and they did send the checked bags on the next plane and they showed up one day after we got home.

Have you considered St. Eustatius or Statia I haven’t been to all the islands but my customers over the last 15 years repeatedly tell me this is one of the best. They are always surprised by the diversity of dive sites and quality of marine life here no matter how long they have been diving the Caribbean. It’s definitely worth a look for you. April is beautiful we see humpbacks that time of year. Have a look at Golden Rock Dive Center ~ St. Eustatius (Statia), Dutch West for some info, if you have questions let me know.
Glenn
owner operator
Golden Rock Dive Center

Back
Top Bottom