Best Drysuit Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use either the 4th Element Arctics or SubXeros with a wicking base layer, depending on the temp. I've been very happy with both. A few buddies also use the Weezle Extreme+ on the same dives as me and they are equally happy. One of my buddies picked up DUI's 450gm undergarment and for extremely cold water he loves it. My other regular buddy is switching his SubXeros out for a set of the DUI, as he says they're the same warmth but the DUI's are a thinner and require a little less lead.

Anyone here use a base layer of clothing such as under armor?

That's what I wear with my single (150gm?) polartech - Under Armor Coldwear long sleeve shirt and pants. Does quite well down to @ 55degF for me.

I use a Whites MK 3 undergarment under a fusion w/sport skin. I can be cozy for an hour at 45F, or I can freeze within 30 minutes at 46F. I tend to wear thin long johns below 50F. I'll be getting a merino set as soon as the new wing and doubles are paid for.

Any of the serious divers I dive with will likely swear that "their" garment is the warmest; choosing any of the top end garments that fits will work just fine. Better to have dry gloves, a nice hood, a well-aired out dry suit and undergarments, and be very well hydrated, than to worry too much about the actual undergarment. DUI, White's, BARE, and Weezle are strongly represented in the Victoria, BC area.

That being said, I really like the MK3 shell material for surface intervals, getting geared up and geared down in the wetter winters. The pockets, zippers, etc that make it great on the surface may detract from it's "divable" qualities according to some, but until my dive time exceeds my parking lot time I'll, uhm, "deal" with it. I do not like that it should be hang dried after being washed.

VI

I have just started to dive in a drysuit this winter - just ~10 dives until now. Our local water temperature is 4-5C (about 40F). The drysuit came with a free 100g Seemann ( SUBTECHPRO 100 ) undersuit. I have discovered that this is not enough. Not being able to test other undersuits - the local offer is limited, and I'd have to order something from the internet, I have started to use it with a Polartec mountain jacket. The results were impressive - I'm no longer cold in water (my legs are fine in the 100g, and the torso is well protected by the 100g+polartec). I am curious which would be the less bulky undersuit with warm enough capabilities, because with my current setup I can barely bend my elbow in water (because of the bulk of 2 distinct clothes).

I have just started to dive in a drysuit this winter - just ~10 dives until now. Our local water temperature is 4-5C (about 40F). The drysuit came with a free 100g Seemann ( SUBTECHPRO 100 ) undersuit. I have discovered that this is not enough. Not being able to test other undersuits - the local offer is limited, and I'd have to order something from the internet, I have started to use it with a Polartec mountain jacket. The results were impressive - I'm no longer cold in water (my legs are fine in the 100g, and the torso is well protected by the 100g+polartec). I am curious which would be the less bulky undersuit with warm enough capabilities, because with my current setup I can barely bend my elbow in water (because of the bulk of 2 distinct clothes).

fourth element:D

like everyone has stated before, layers. I'll throw on a pair of North Face synthetic wool long-johns. I don't think good quality foot warming gear can be over-stated. I sweat my nah-nahs off gearing up. But once im in the water, i'm toasty :redhot:

My girlfriend and I both dive with the Fourth Element Arctics and Love them, I personally got a little cold after about 35-45min in waters about 40-45 So I then Just got some under Armor and a Plain extra shirt and I was Fine. I will probably get the XT250 also and with Both should be no chill Hopefully. The best thing about the 4th Elements is you can actually wash them just use light soap.

I keep hearing a lot about 4th Element. But I checked their website and it's not quite US/Imperial user friendly. Trying to convert all the measurements from metric...I can't find a size that fits right between L and XL. And it looks like all garments are 2 piece. I find 1 piece/jumpsuits easier to use (don't have to ensure the jacket is tucked and nothing rolled upon donning the drysuit). But that's my opinion and tastes. I could be wrong though...I'd have to see in person to appreciate.

I keep hearing a lot about 4th Element. But I checked their website and it's not quite US/Imperial user friendly. Trying to convert all the measurements from metric...I can't find a size that fits right between L and XL. And it looks like all garments are 2 piece. I find 1 piece/jumpsuits easier to use (don't have to ensure the jacket is tucked and nothing rolled upon donning the drysuit). But that's my opinion and tastes. I could be wrong though...I'd have to see in person to appreciate.

There is some overlap between the top and bottom with the arctic, this allows for ease of movement. They do fit somewhat snug though not uncomfortably so. I don't recall ever having had issues with the top rolling up while donning my drysuit or from any movement I've made while wearing it or diving. I wear a wicking base layer under these and my tolerance keeps me pretty comfortable for extended multiple dives down to the upper 40's in them. I can wear them in colder waters but I do start to feel the cold towards the end of the dive. My buddy wears them without issue into the upper 30's.

Anyone here use a base layer of clothing such as under armor? I didn't see anyone mention it, and I want to know if is commonly in use in addition to regular undergarments or if everyone generally find it unnecessary.

I use either UA tights and long sleeve or 1 piece skins base layer. This goes for wetsuit diving as well.

Back
Top Bottom