Best DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm very happy with my Halcyon's... I have the 3.3' and a 'slim 6'' one...

Although someone else commented about how the one they own is leaking, I've seen no such issue with mine. The only down side is they're expensive...

I'd like to purchase a DSMB in the next few days (for use in saftey stops at depth and as a signal marker at the surface), and was hoping to get feedback from forum members about what they consider to be good products. Here are the features I'd like to see in my DSMB:

(1) 5-6' tall when inflated
(2) Can be inflated both by mouth (at surface; with LP inflator as a bonus) and with octo (at depth)
(3) Ideally orange (or orange on one side and yellow on the other)
(4) Not too wide when rolled (some DSMBs are too large acorss in my opinion to make diving with practical)
(5) Can be used as a lift bag (ideally with a lift rating of over 20-25 pounds)
(6) Includes an over-pressure valve to prevent bursting during ascent

A few models that I am considering are the DAN model (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html), the ScubaToys model (Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices), and the Zeagle Deluxe model (CRE Loaded Oscommerce Hosting and Support since 2000 : Chain Reaction Web).

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Zeagle model, simply because it is slightly smaller (less wide) than the other two (which would make it more likely that I take it on every dive). [Does anyone know where the Zeagle Deluxe model can be purchased online and how much it costs?] The DAN model though is listed as only 0.5" wider, but I can't determine if it can be inflated underwater with a regulator.

Any comments on these products, plus any others that you'd recommend (or recommend against) would be greatly appreciated.

this thread might help DSMB & spool purchase - my considerations.

Why only 3-4 ft?

Between 3-4 ft was recommended by two of the instructors in my current DM course. Their rationale was that longer DSMB's would require too many breaths at depth to deploy if doing so orally.

Between 3-4 ft was recommended by two of the instructors in my current DM course. Their rationale was that longer DSMB's would require too many breaths at depth to deploy if doing so orally.
Interesting. I was told nothing shorter than 6ft, and I see a lot of people on SB recommending the 10ft. Which seems huge

Interesting. I was told nothing shorter than 6ft, and I see a lot of people on SB recommending the 10ft. Which seems huge

Who told you that and what was their reasoning?

If the diameter is the same, then the same number of breaths would just make a bigger one be "half full", but still just as tall. Except now you don't have the option to make it bigger once you surface.

Big SMBs are almost always better than small ones.

Depends on where you are diving. Using two examples local to you. Doing a boat dive in Saanich inlet where there is negligible current and some small boats but nothing huge. Also you are bascially along a shoreline or within swimming distance of a shoreline at nearly all sites. You are basically just confirming where you are to the boat so they don't hit you even if the water's a bit choppy and your bubbles are hard to see. Orally inflating a 3ft/1M SMB is fine. Its easy to learn on as well.

vs diving Race Rocks. High current site, capable of being swept far from the boat. Large boats around. You want a much larger 6ft+ tall and fat SMB visible from a distance. Plus more polished skills to get it mostly inflated from depth. Much harder to learn to inflate full and not drag you to the surface in the process.

My suggestion is to start with a small one and keep your dives modest until you have the skills to deploy a large one in challenging conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom