Best emergency Strobe option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An on/off switch would be great. A better way of connecting or mounting the unit to a BC would be of benefit too. The Tektite unit is perhaps a dozen years old. They have done no improvements as far as I can tell and probably for good reason. There are only two maybe three choices of underwater strobes on the market, a market which is probably small, so there is little impetus to improve the design. Money talks. If the market was bigger, and there were more customer interest I am sure there would be a better strobe option.

I'd happily give them an extra $30 if it had a magnetic reed switch, upgraded (more reliable) electronics, a more secure battery arrangement (no bent metal contact) and a support for the strobe tube (which will break if the strobe gets whacked).

It's a nice case, but the thought of pulling the Tektite out of my pocket while lost on the ocean at night and finding that it's dead is more than a little creepy.

I'll probably stick with the Jotron. Although it doesn't last as long, when you flip the switch it does work every time.

OTOH, the Jotron could be an absolutely first-class strobe with nothing more than an elongated case to hold 2 C cells and a better end-cap, which would cost them virtually nothing.

Maybe I should just manufacture and sell a redesigned Jotron end-cap that is thicker with a proper o-ring groove, and a good o-ring.

Terry

I'd happily give them an extra $30 if it had a magnetic reed switch, upgraded (more reliable) electronics, a more secure battery arrangement (no bent metal contact) and a support for the strobe tube (which will break if the strobe gets whacked).

It's a nice case, but the thought of pulling the Tektite out of my pocket while lost on the ocean at night and finding that it's dead is more than a little creepy.

I'll probably stick with the Jotron. Although it doesn't last as long, when you flip the switch it does work every time.

OTOH, the Jotron could be an absolutely first-class strobe with nothing more than an elongated case to hold 2 C cells and a better end-cap, which would cost them virtually nothing.

Maybe I should just manufacture and sell a redesigned Jotron end-cap that is thicker with a proper o-ring groove, and a good o-ring.

Terry

Good idea. How about a dome protecting neoprene "condom"? We could go into business together.

Garv

the PT is like half the size, so if you don't have room to stash anything bigger that's good. (I just stick the bigger one in my husbands pocket. :wink: ) The PT is a simple screwdown to turn on, the Trident has an actual switch (the bottom bit rotates) but I don't know what the mechanism is.

I don't think the PT is quite as bright though I haven't compared them directly. The PT runs on a single AA and the Trident is a C so I'm pretty sure the Trident is going to run much longer.

well I recently bought the PT Aquastrobe.

I compared it to the one marketed by Innovative Scuba. (both were carried by my LDS).

our unscienetific 'test' was simply to view them from a short distance and see which was brighter.

the Innovative Scuba one seemed slightly brighter. But it was larger and was a combo dive light / strobe. each I think used it's own battery. However, since most folks wouldn't use the dive light portion (as they want something brighter), it was just added bulk to me.

Innovative Scuba strobe. (note below images are not to scale with each other. the Innovative strobe is close to twice the size of the Princeton Tec strobe. FYI).
IS-LT-5100-1.jpg

The Princeton Tec one was almost as bright, but much smaller and would fit in a small BC pocket easily. it was also bright orange so easier to find Orange over black if dropped at night in off position when looking with another light.

The only other negative that I can find with it is that though it's Princeton Tec, they reduced the warranty to 90 days on this product. But that might be because it's a strobe.

Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe
aquastrobe.jpg

Thank you for that extremely unbiased review:D

I've owned a few of almost everything that's available, and actually, the Jotron is the best available, although it could be better.

All it needs is a better end cap with an o-ring and better o-ring groove and sealing surface. Both of mine have had small random leaks and when I tried to tighten the cap more it just cracked.

The Tek-Tite is brighter, but the screw-on dome "switch" is so horribly unreliable that I really can't see relying on it for anything. As was mentioned, if you don't unscrew it far enough, it turns on at random times and uses up the battery. If you unscrew it too far, it leaks, and there's no indication how far is "far enough" or "too far" I wouldn't accept a flashlight with a switch like that, and I can't beleive they put it on a strobe that somebody's life might depends on.

The Jotron has a much better switch (and actual magnetic reed switch), but the battery cover is really fragile and the o-ring tends to leak. (I figured I'd mention it now that the Jotron person is here) :D

In fact, if you want to make the production changes (fix the end-cap and o-ring), and send me one, I'd be happy to check it out and write a review.

Terry

I've owned a few of almost everything that's available, and actually, the Jotron is the best available, although it could be better.

I am sure it is a good quality product. It just struck my funny bone, him being from Jotron and the depth of information in the post....:D

I am sure it is a good quality product. It just struck my funny bone, him being from Jotron and the depth of information in the post....:D

It was funny, although I hope we didn't scare him away. :D

Terry

I bought the Tektite 200 from the dive store. Felt pretty good about this purchase, popped the batteries in and took it for a night dive.

But something bad did happen to the tektite.

So I asked for a replacement, it took some negotiation but they eventually swapped it out and i plan to use this on a 9 day trip in Sipadan in 2 weeks. I'll let you know if I run into more issues.

Im back from 9 days of diving in Malaysia, logged around 30 dives, I kept the tektite in my BC pocket for 9 days. No issues with leakage at all. Even with the dive crew banging my BC around while swapping tanks, stacking BC's on top of each other and my fumbling about for my SMB during saftey stops. I guess the first one I got had a manufacturing defect.

well I recently bought the PT Aquastrobe.

[snip]

The Princeton Tec one was almost as bright, but much smaller and would fit in a small BC pocket easily. it was also bright orange so easier to find Orange over black if dropped at night in off position when looking with another light.

Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe
aquastrobe.jpg

Well... revisiting this thread. Because I want a brighter strobe now. the Princeton Tec one just doesn't seem bright enough.

anyone got suggestions for a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom