Best First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The daily use aspects may be as important as the technical ones, especially shallow/recreational.

I've switched to sealed for fewer worries from salt and sand.
I like a turret, for more options on hose routing (and sidemount).

My Deep6s have been great. They support user servicing like Poseidon does.
I'm not sure I notice a difference (shallow) from my, unsealed, Mk25.
A turret Poseidon would be nice, and matching XStream.

Bold claim my friend. The only regs I've ever had trouble with were Atomics and that was only a small sample o er a small period of time. In contrast used Apeks over decades and many different models, not one single problem. YMMV. As far as performance goes, that's mostly a function of the second stage.

I have sold LOTS of them over several years in my days in NY and have lots of them here in Libya in my dive school. Not a single issue with awesome performance and most reliable even in a dive schools training fleet. I have sold and used several brands and models over 35 years as a dive instructor and well over 40 years as a diver.

The OP is asking about first stage, not the second stage btw.

I have sold LOTS of them over several years in my days in NY and have lots of them here in Libya in my dive school. Not a single issue with awesome performance and most reliable even in a dive schools training fleet. I have sold and used several brands and models over 35 years as a dive instructor and well over 40 years as a diver.

The OP is asking about first stage, not the second stage btw.

I don't doubt your experience Sir, just don't think there's a best. I only mentioned second stage as the "best" first stage has little bearing on performance within etc limits whereas the"best" second stage will.

I don't doubt your experience Sir, just don't think there's a best. I only mentioned second stage as the "best" first stage has little bearing on performance within etc limits whereas the"best" second stage will.

There is a best for people based on many factors put together and on their cumulative experience not just a single factor. Some base it on a very short experience or on few or single factors while others base it on several years or decades of experience and/or based on experience with many brands and models. It isn't about the role or the performance of a first stage or second stage only for me btw. I don't share your view that the first stage isn't a factor or as important as the second stage based on my experimentation over the last several years with mixing different second and first second stages from different brands and models. Their contribution and role in the performance of a regulator are just about equal. They may effect different factors but their combined contributions affect the overall performance and reliability of the whole system. Being "best" isn't just "performance" in my view.

I'm not saying it isn't a factor but less so than a second stage. If I put a conshelf on a Mk25 and then a S600 I can tell the difference. Conversely, if I put an S600 on a MK25 and then a MK2 (at rec depths) I can't tell the difference. In my experience the second stage has a greater bearing on performance than the first stage. Not not important, I just think less so. Your experience obviously differs from mine I guess, certainly yours is more extensive.

If I put a conshelf on a Mk25 and then a S600 I can tell the difference. Conversely, if I put an S600 on a MK25 and then a MK2 (at rec depths) I can't tell the difference

I was going to mention in my earlier comment putting a high end second stage on a lower end first stage but decided against but now you bring it up :) You can certainly destroy the perceived performance of a high end and high performance first stage by putting on a lower end second stage but a high end second stage on a lower end first stage may mask the low performance of this lower end first stage in shallower depths and make it appear as not relevant but this happens in the shallower parts of the dive and in more ideal conditions. What is more important is that when the OP asked about what is "best" doesn't always mean "performance" just like you can't decide that a car is "best" based on "speed and/or acceleration" only. There are many other factors that make a regulator system/first stage best in addition to "performance" (work of breathing). Atomic has all of the factors along with performance that make it "best" in my view according to my experience. Others, your good self for example, will have other experiences and consequently different opinions. It makes the world turn around and more interesting.

My opinion is more correct and is the best and most valid and everyone else is wrong however :p

I was going to mention in my earlier comment putting a high end second stage on a lower end first stage but decided against but now you bring it up :) You can certainly destroy the perceived performance of a high end and high performance first stage by putting on a lower end second stage but a high end second stage on a lower end first stage may mask the low performance of this lower end first stage in shallower depths and make it appear as not relevant but this happens in the shallower parts of the dive and in more ideal conditions. What is more important is that when the OP asked about what is "best" doesn't always mean "performance" just like you can't decide that a car is "best" based on "speed and/or acceleration" only. There are many other factors that make a regulator system/first stage best in addition to "performance" (work of breathing). Atomic has all of the factors along with performance that make it "best" in my view according to my experience. Others, your good self for example, will have other experiences and consequently different opinions. It makes the world turn around and more interesting.

My opinion is more correct and is the best and most valid and everyone else is wrong however :p

You're a funny man, love and peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom