Best First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're a funny man, love and peace.

I always enjoy reading your posts and comments especially the ones about restoring regulators and your insight into regulator design and service btw.

The OP should be aware that the search for the perfect regulator is a slippery slope down which the search can become a hobby in itself and eventually something of an obsession!
No problem with that of course- just do not under any circumstances start procrastinating about rebreathers. A rebreather is a hole in the ocean lined with delrin into which you throw fistfuls of $100 bills.

As per the title. What is the best first stage from your experience? Both in cold and warm water, sealed and not sealed, piston or diaphragm, number of ports, swivel vs non-swivel and etc..
I'm currently looking to replace my old first stage with a newer one and I'm trying to decide on which one to purchase. I mainly dive in FL so warm water is my main diving but I'm military so I have the potential to be stationed in the northern states so cold waters could be in my future too. I also like how some first stages don't swivel. My current first stage swivels and I'm not sure I like the first stage swiveling around as one hose pulls more than the other sometimes.
So my bottom line is what first stage do you use and why do you like it?

It has already been said. There is no best. There is only "best for you."

Personally, for single tank diving, I have settled on the Atomic Z2. It can be purchased sealed (unlike the ScubaPro Mk 25 or Mk 25 EVO - which I also have and like), and it has a NON-swiveling turret that has a bottom port. I don't find a swivel turret to be useful for single tank diving, but I do use the bottom port in a single tank configuration. Why have your octo hose pointing straight out to the side and then bend down to come under your arm when you can have a bottom port that lets the octo hose start off pointing down and loop under your arm? And, the Z2 is very inexpensive compared to the other top shelf mainstream alternatives. I think it's $440 for 1st (unsealed) and 2nd stage and around $480 for the same kit but with a sealed 1st stage. Also, if you decided later that you wanted to have it with a swivel turret, you can buy just the parts for that and have an Atomic reg tech swap it over so that it has the same swivel turret as the other Atomic 1st stages.

I like my ScubaPro Mk 25 EVO + G260 set a LOT. But now that I've gotten Atomic Z2 for single tank and Atomic M1 for doubles, the ScubaPro regs are just in my bag as backups.

For single tank, the Z3 with a bottom port with no turret turning/cost/hypothetical-failures looks nice for routing octo or primary-donate down. And $440 would be a nice price.

But the lowest I see on-line is $590 for a 1st and a 2nd new, with google search, $520 used. Which is a bit more.

I'm happy with my turrets, for single/double/side. Just interested for the new singles divers, when routing down (primary donate) can be nicer.

For single tank, the Z3 with a bottom port with no turret turning/cost/hypothetical-failures looks nice for routing octo or primary-donate down. And $440 would be a nice price.

But the lowest I see on-line is $590 for a 1st and a 2nd new, with google search, $520 used. Which is a bit more.

I'm happy with my turrets, for single/double/side. Just interested for the new singles divers, when routing down (primary donate) can be nicer.

I suggested the Z2. The only difference between them is the Z3 includes a hose with a built in swivel. If you want a swivel, I would recommend the Z2 and this swivel for $25.

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

The Z2 (unsealed) is $440. Sealed is $480.

The OP should be aware that the search for the perfect regulator is a slippery slope down which the search can become a hobby in itself and eventually something of an obsession!
No problem with that of course- just do not under any circumstances start procrastinating about rebreathers. A rebreather is a hole in the ocean lined with delrin into which you throw fistfuls of $100 bills.

the only way to answer the question is for the OP to buy one of every regulator and try them out! LOL

I suggested the Z2. The only difference between them is the Z3 includes a hose with a built in swivel. If you want a swivel, I would recommend the Z2 and this swivel for $25.
My bad!!
The Z2 looks like a good option, especially if in shop service is important.

On their specs sheet I saw the Z2, with the only difference being the hose swivel. I did not think the price difference would be that much. And I miss read your post as Z3, or at least wound up searching on that.

Agree on the Cave Adventures swivel. I have two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom