best gulf towns for fisherpersons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenwoods

New
Reaction score
my wife and i live in michigan and are thinking of moving to florida because our jobs in healthcare will allow us, we're thinking gulf coast area near good fishing and boating in a nice town with good housing prices..anyone have a suggestion as to where to start looking. we are mid 40s and our kids will be in college soon so that's not a factor, love nature a little night life good restaurants. thank you.

You might try posting in the Florida Conch Divers section of the NDI club area of the Scubaboard. The Floridians will probably be able to help you.

Ft.Myers is nice as well as the Venice area but homes can be expensive.
St.Pete/Clearwater has more affordable housing, more night life but greater numbers of people on land and in their boats. Now that I think about it they drive their boats the same way as their cars.....like fools.

If you can find work Steinhatchee is great.

Port St Joe, Appilachicola, Carabelle, three nice quiet (for the time being...) fishing towns, great access to both the gulf and inland bay and flats areas for fishing...

I think these areas are going to be over-developed in the coming years though, the economy in the communities now is very much based on commercial fishing leaving prices low allowing developers to come in and try and take over.

They really are for the time being small peaceful sites to visit...

Man I should move there???

I sure do love to visit!!!

I can pick up some local papers or something next time I am in town if your interested, PM your address.

I may be heading down next week sometime...

Jeff Lane

Not Port St. Joe... or any other part of LA (Lower Alabama)... too many snakes, too many mosquitos, too hot, too humid.. everything either stings, sticks or bites! Too many rednecks! You'd be miserable.
Try Miami Beach... :)
E. itajara

Epine I agree 100% I would not winh my worse enmy to have to live in the Port St. Joe area

Destin is mess in summer due to the tourists. It is also more expensive.

Ft Walton and Niceville are adjacent to Choctawhatchee Bay and many bayous which provide protected water access. I live in Niceville, about 5 minutes from my marina, which is about 30 minutes from the Destin Pass (at 20 knots).

Crestview is about 15 miles north of the coast, but property is cheaper.

Pensacola is much larger than the area described above, but it has the same attributes.

Hey Stone I camped at Grayton Beach SP mother's day weekend wish I would have known you lived in Niceville. I knew you lived somewhere over there.

scubanole once bubbled...
I knew you lived somewhere over there.

Valparaiso and Niceville are called the Twin Cities and even share a single chamber of commerce. I live in Valp but my boat is in Niceville (as is the K-mart, movie theatre, and most of the stoplights).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom