Best handle/light setup for GoProHero 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second RockyHeap in total. The only option to recycle dive lights and narrow beams is when you shoot macro and you need a diffuser on the lights
The GoPro has no macro you need two lights with at least 60 degrees each and as many lumens as you can even those require arms to be put at the right distance and be able to cover all sides of the lens.
With two sola 1200 and two locline arms on a tray the lights barely cover the GoPro medium wide
I also think that trays need to be sturdy with nice rubberized handle grips that help absorbing vibration and make the footage less shaky. I have tested PVC poles they are inadequate and vibrate, though yes they are cheap...

The
Light & Motion GoPro Action Camera Kit
lights look pretty sweet. And if you want to upgrade cameras and arm kits, you can still use them correct?

The
Light & Motion GoPro Action Camera Kit
lights look pretty sweet. And if you want to upgrade cameras and arm kits, you can still use them correct?

I bought one, they will do the job and arent expensive. They are tiny (175mm / 7" wide) and with a camera mounted there is just enough room to get your hands around the arms and have the camera between your knuckles, might be tight with thick gloves though. I actually like how compact it is but it is way too small for anything other than a GoPro, Contour etc. The arms could be a bit longer to get the lights further apart but you can add locline if needed.

I bought some rubber MTB handgrips for $5, cut them down to about 3.5" long and slid them down to the bottom of the arms to create 2 handles. They are a perfect fit and keep the bottom part of the arm straight and rigid but still moveable. Great for holding with one hand or both. I also ran some cord through the locline with holes drilled at each end piece, knot the cord through the hole and assemble the locline. If the locline ever comes apart underwater your lights are still tethered.

Thanks to RockyHeap I found the Sola600's on sale from Dolphin which when mounted to these arms with the required adaptors makes the whole setup around $750 including lights. I haven't even got the lights yet but have seen them in action before and from what I already know, bang for buck they are going to be tough to beat. Sure a thousand or two more lumens would be be even better but how fat is your wallet!

For the cost, I feel like the SRP tray is way better. More space to expand with bigger cameras. You don't have the arms for lights, but they aren't terribly expensive.

For the cost, I feel like the SRP tray is way better. More space to expand with bigger cameras. You don't have the arms for lights, but they aren't terribly expensive.

I really considered the SRP as it looks extremely well made and is certainly more versatile although not as compact. But including arms it is twice the price. The arms from the L&M kit can be re-used so the option is there to get the SRP tray in future as the L&M kit costs little more than 2 arms would anyway.

I really considered the SRP as it looks extremely well made and is certainly more versatile although not as compact. But including arms it is twice the price. The arms from the L&M kit can be re-used so the option is there to get the SRP tray in future as the L&M kit costs little more than 2 arms would anyway.

Not sure what arms you're looking at?
About Our Products It's either 25 or 40, and the tray is 20 more than the L&M tray.

I honestly think all of these trays are severely overpriced :/ I really wish I had access to a CNC.

I honestly think all of these trays are severely overpriced :/ I really wish I had access to a CNC.

I totally hear ya! I hadn't seen the arms at that price but here in Aust they are $25/arm + $150 for the tray so $200 total vs $99 for the L&M. To get one shipped here costs the same ($200)

Tray Mount System for GoPro Cameras and video/still cameras

Don't even get me started on the price of a connector for the top of the arms to attach the light to. No wonder people make their own!

I totally hear ya! I hadn't seen the arms at that price but here in Aust they are $25/arm + $150 for the tray so $200 total vs $99 for the L&M. To get one shipped here costs the same ($200)

Tray Mount System for GoPro Cameras and video/still cameras

Don't even get me started on the price of a connector for the top of the arms to attach the light to. No wonder people make their own!

Ahhh. DIdn't realize you were in Australia. Makes sense then since SRP produces everything in the US. I'm really hoping a Chinese company can make a decent tray for ~50 bucks, but I don't have high expectations since the market is so small.

I'm leaning towards the Mako systems just because they're so much cheaper, but after you throw on all the attachments it's almost as expensive as the SRP tray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom