Best knot for bungee/shock cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, these work even better, but you have to buy the special pliers to crimp them.

I'll tie a square knot with bungee cord if I want to make a loop, but always make sure the bungee is fully stretched out and there's tension from one end to the other. For good measure, I'll tie one or two half hitches with the bitter ends, again under tension.

I've attached my DSMB to the bottom of my backplate using some shock cord. I made the loop using a regular overhand knot and was wondering if there might be a specific knot better suited to the task.

For me, that position is reserved for a lift bag. My SMB/reel is attached to the crotch "D" ring with a bolt snap. The SMB/reel is already pre-rigged as an assembly. I know you are asking about the right knot. But maybe a different mounting location/preference will eliminate your knot quandary. B.

Simple square knot, stretched completely tight. Then a few drops of Crazy Glue on the knot. Very fast and never had a problem.

Slightly off topic but the way the pic shows the SMB it would put it between your body and the crotch strap; wouldn't that be more difficult to deploy especially if you were already heavily task loaded? Am I missing something?

I have used a "flat overhand bend" several times on bungee and never had it come apart. Super easy to tie too.

Back
Top Bottom