Best LDS in Phoenix (and surrounding areas)???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

I am looking for recommendations for a good LDS in the valley. I just picked up my basic four piece set from Sports Chalet in Tempe Marketplace. I am doing my PADI OW cert at Scuba Magic. I want a place that has good customer service, offers good products at fair prices, and takes part in local as well as out of state dive trips.

I live in Maricopa, but my office is right by Sky Harbor. So any part of the valley is fine. I drive all over the state for work, so driving to Scottsdale or Peoria is no big deal. I'd prefer to make the drive to the right place, than go to the closest place.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!!!

- Mike

Check out El Mar in Mesa. El Mar Diving Center, Your Arizona Scuba Diving Center

They're not too far from your office - off the 101 on Broadway. I'm pretty sure they have the most gear of anyone in town (I've been to almost all the others in the last several years) and fair prices. I suggest you go there before you buy all your other gear - they have a lot of it - two floors with the upstairs mostly devoted to wetsuits and BC'S. Lots of regs, computers and misc gear downstairs also. They lack a little in the camera dept. but so does every other LDS in town - if you're interested in that in the future go online.

They also own a satellite facility - and 36' Newton dive boat in San Carlos, MX. For warm water divng from here, that's the place to go. They carpool down there but several times a year charter a bus also. They've been around almost 50 years also - I've been diving here for 30 and can't think of any other LDS in town still in existence here since I started. Their repair technician - David Hayes - has a reputation as being one of the best in town.

Typically out of state dive trips will cost considerably more through an LDS than the same trip/place you can put together yourself with a few internet searches/phone calls. Some people like the convenience/camaraderie of going as a group with an LDS - we like to save the money...:wink: El Mar also has an in-house dive travel agency. El Mar Diving Center - Tierra Mar Travel Caradonna is a good online travel alternative also. http://www.caradonna.com/

btw, Gary at ScubaMagic has a good rep. also. A friend of mine used to work with him - went out of her way to do so.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steve!!

I had El Mar on my list of places to check out. I was amazed at how many dive shops there were in the valley (we're in the desert!!). I'll definitely check them out, as I hope to pick-up my BC, Reg, and Computer in the next month or so.

Just checked out El Mar in Mesa. Great shop and very friendly service!! I like that they have product there and it's on display for you to touch and feel. I bought a T-Shirt because I felt bad I was hanging around for so long.

If you're ever on the NE side (40thSt/Bell) check out Academy of Scuba. They also have a shop on I-17 just south of Dunlap (west side). In case you haven't seen it - here's the current LDS list: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...0-arizona-lds-list-last-update-05-2012-a.html

Tres Aquas also at 7th St./Union Hills.

The newest LDS to be opening soon? is AZ Scuba | Scuba Pros of Arizona | Call 602-314-6650 - the interesting thing about them is they'll be one of 45 ScubaPro Platinum dealers worldwide. And they're supposed to have a pretty cool pool with some sort of wave machine.

Last edited:
Thanks again Steve! I actually saw the Scuba Pros of Arizona website before. I'm up in Scottsdale fairly often, so next time I'm up that way I will check out Academy of Scuba.

There is a new dive club in the valley AZ-Divebuddies. They have their own compressor and a group of instructors. They have some kind of discount purchase program for their members it may be worth your while to check into their program. Give a call it may suit you needs. (480) 242-5571

Another local here in the town of Maricopa.

My plan for this year was get back into diving. Hasn't been going too well. I am on leave recovering from ACL surgery for the next couple weeks. Gives me way too much time to sit with a laptop.
Anyway I spent a chunk of time going over a bunch of shops across the valley.
I have been impressed by Inland Divers, Gary asked the right questions to get me back in line. Sagauro Sports is probably the closest to me and have the best deals in store. I liked Academy of Scuba but have not been to the I-17 store since they aquired it.

There are others, none are bad. Some I just liked more then others. Could be as little as the mood I was in when I stopped by.

It may be a little time consuming, but stop by each store and have a look around, talk to the staff, see what they have to offer. They are all friendly, you will get a feel for what they are like. They all know of each other, often one person will have worked for someone else before branching out on there own. That will harlp you find what fits you best. Internet research can be handy, but so often it is just best to go there in person. I would look at the schedule and find a time that they are not having a class. Classes are usually the most hectic time in a dive shop.

Now to finish healing myself and make a trip to a lake and blow bubble for the first time in years...

Hey Bronco!

Thanks for the input. I'll check these places out soon.

Sounds like we will have a couple divers in Copa. My brother-in-law is getting certified. And one of my very good friends was certified when he was stationed over in Japan. He plans to get his re-cert the same time we get our OW cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom