Best location for Mola mola encounter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graypippa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi we will be in Bali next August and would very much like to see Mola Mola I understand this is the right time of year. Does anybody have experience of a good location or dive operator. Many thanks

Crystal Bay off Nusa Penida seems to be the best spot. Many good dive ops operate out of Bali. You also should consider World Diving, based on Lembongan, and even consider staying a day or two on Lembongan to dive the Nusa Penida sites. I have only nice things to say about World Diving (see trip report from August 2010).

Tepekong and Mimpang are other dive sites where there are Mola Mola cleaning stations, and as they aren't as popular you get longer time with the Mola.

Crystal Bay can be so full of divers that the Mola can get quickly scared away :shakehead:

I dived crystal bay 2 yrs ago in august, nice dives but no mola mola, lots people, though poeple were regularly seeing mola mola there at those times in the year. I stayed Nusa lembongan, quiet place, life there shuts down very early in evenings, ie 9.30-10pm. Snorkelling sites very nice nusa lembongan. Probably nusa penida crystal bay is the worlds best spot. I have heard east Africa near pemba?? though unconfirmed.

Hi I saw 4 mola's on 1 dive at crystal bay nusa penida this august. You have to be lucky but if you go a couple of times in August or September you have a good chance. Strong currents and 30m dives mean it is for advanced divers with experience only.
We also went to manta point the same day and saw loads of mantas.
I did a day trip from Tulamben with Liberty dive resort. 100$ for 2 dives at Penida, local dives were 25$ each.

Hi, August to October are the best months for the Mola-mola, it is believed that they are migrating for some reason, and are using the Penida reefs as cleaning stations. Depending on how your holiday programme looks like and if you prefer to stay close to the tourist facilities you have some options to dive Penida. Personally I would recommend to stay some days in either Lembongan or Candi Dasa, to dive from Padang Bai. If you stay on Lembongan, World Diving is the place to be.

Do realise that juli and August is peak season for divers, so expect crowds, espesially at Manta point and Crystal Bay.
I agree with Amanda that Tepekong and Mimpang are god alternatives with way less divers.
Also if you base yourself in Lembongan you can easier beat the crowds, keeping in mind that the tides around these sites need to be respected (sometimes mind-blowing currents!!)
And yes, of course there is never a guaranty seeing the illustrious beast.

You do know that there are many great world class dive sites around Bali apart from Penida. If you want a dive holiday with a sample of the riches of the diving on the different locations in Bali, the best way would be to do an extended diving safari. Maybe worthwhile looking into it?

Have fun and good luck with your quest for he Mola-Mola.

Crystal Bay is without doubt the best location to find these magnificent creatures during the season simply because of the number of Mola Mola it brings in and the available times when it is possible to dive there unlike Blue Corner of the west coast of Lembongan next to Nus Penida where currents can deem the dive sites completely 'un-dive-able' for certain days of the month. But as we all know it is the currents that bring in the Sunfish to the shallower waters with the thermoclines so it is essential that you are diving with a guide with massive experience on when and exactly where to dive.

At Blue Season Bali we have without doubt some of Indonesia's most sought-after dive guides and instructors. We get requests from guests a year in advance to dive with Putu, one of our Mola Geniuses... that really is saying something!

Blue Season Bali; PADI Asia Pacific Regional Award Winner 2010; Outstanding Dive Center 2010
Commitment to Instructor Development 2010

www.baliocean.com

We lived in Indo for 10 years and saw Molas every year at Manta point. Expect strong currents (in multiple directions) and thermaclines (I wear a 5 mil and a hood).

For those who live in Southern California, I have seen small Molas in the summertime at Anacapa Island in the kelp and even sunning themselves on the surface outside of Port of San Pedro (the port of the City of Los Angeles)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom