Best mask for a mustache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a mustache for over 40 years and have been diving longer. Like Rick says, exhale though your nose. I have done this for many years and I do not get water in my mask by keeping the pressure higher in the mask than outside the mask. I have gotten a little extra water in my mask by being upside down, you just keep exhaling through your nose. The other remedy is shave the mustache off :D End of problem. I am still using a 20 year old Scuba Pro Mask with a purge valve, now we can start another pro and con:rofl3:

Rick Murchison:
*** This one's important ***
You wouldn't think you could get a fire underwater, but...
Y'all be real careful using things like silicone and/or vaseline when you get into decompression diving. Those two are particularly prone to spontaneous combustion in pure oxygen. If you can't control mask leaks without using a sealant, lose the mustache! Under no circumsatnces should you expose vaseline or silicone lubricants to 100% oxygen.
Rick
I trust your judgement Rick, and while I don't at this point do deco diving. I might as well change my habits ahead of time. I never gave it any thought as to the reaction between hydrocarbons and oxygen and I should have known from welding classses years ago. Thanks for the reminder! Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom