Best mask for a mustache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Say what???
Just keep a tiny bit of positive pressure in the mask and it won't leak at the mustache - the mask is like a bottle full of air with the mouth turned down. As you go deeper, just add air.
So long as the mask seals along the top and sides, the mustache doesn't matter, nor does the type mask.
Piece of cake.
Rick

you mean sort of exhale through your nose a little inside the mask?

JRC58:
Keeping a little positive pressure in my mask works just fine until I want to turn upside down for some reason, then it floods!

Of course it does. Bite the bullet and keep a 1/4" strip below your nose clean shaven. Your mask won't leak, and your mustache will grow back in this area after your dive trip, if you want it to.

JcoldwaterIL:
you mean sort of exhale through your nose a little inside the mask?
Imagine an open bottle under water. Keep the mouth of the bottle as the low point and you can fill it with air and it'll stay full of air. All you need to do is add a little air as you go deeper to keep the water out. Indeed, you can move the bottle around quite a bit without getting any water to speak of into it. A mask is much like that - so long as the only unsealed area is at the mustache it won't leak if the mustache is anywhere near the low point, which covers nearly all normal diving head positions. Since the unsealed area is small, with a little practice you can even keep it from leaking in any position with a minimal exhalation through the nose.
JRC58:
Keeping a little positive pressure in my mask works just fine until I want to turn upside down for some reason, then it floods!
Technique... technique... keep at it, you'll figure it out. :D
msmendel:
Of course it does. Bite the bullet and keep a 1/4" strip below your nose clean shaven. Your mask won't leak, and your mustache will grow back in this area after your dive trip, if you want it to.
No need, no need... technique!
Rick :)
---
Addendum.
I will say this. If you need to conserve your exhaled gas - that is, if you use a CCR - then it is likely worthwhile to do the trim & silicone thing so you won't waste gas keeping the mask clear. But open circuit? You're throwing away your exhaled gas anyway, so no penalty for the mustache.

I shave just a bit under the nose(less than 1/4"), but if I don't feel like doing that, a dab of vaseline seems to work well.
Good luck!, Bob

*** This one's important ***
You wouldn't think you could get a fire underwater, but...
Y'all be real careful using things like silicone and/or vaseline when you get into decompression diving. Those two are particularly prone to spontaneous combustion in pure oxygen. If you can't control mask leaks without using a sealant, lose the mustache! Under no circumsatnces should you expose vaseline or silicone lubricants to 100% oxygen.
Rick

I played hooky from my physics class a lot, but I understand the principle of keeping petroleum products away from oxygen, but I would think it would require a heat source as part of the fuel, oxygen and heat triangle to combust or explode. Compressing oxygen creates heat, but I don't see oxygen coming into a mask heating up. It would seem to be cooling down once released from high pressure to ambient. Or am I missing something ?

I have a very thick mustache and I use a SeaVision Ultra. I've never had a problem with it leaking, even while hovering upside down.

Ever heard of spontaneious combustion? All the components are there if you use a hydrocarbon lubricant.

I suppose they are all there, but what are the chances of getting enough heat to cause combustion? The cases of spontaneous combustion I am familiar with involve oxidation in materials such as oily rags, manure piles, coal piles and sawdust piles that generate heat that is not easily dissapated and cause a heat buildup over an extended period of time. I just think this would be difficult to achieve with petroleum jelly around a mask that could hold a high concentration of O2 underwater. I am not an expert but just asking. Has anyone ever had a problem underwater with a "spontaneous combustion" ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom