Best mask for a mustache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JcoldwaterIL

Reaction score
A few feet from the beaches of lake Michigan
As to be expected I get some water seepage around my upper lip because masks don't seal very good with a mustache. just wondering if anyone has a mask that helps with the mustache seal? I was thinkin maybe the liquid skin from Mares but i don't want to jump up and buy a new mask without any feedback since theres nothing wrong with my current one.

I find it easiest to just trim (shave) my mustache a bit to get a mask/skin seal. Since I keep it short anyway it grows back within two weeks. My mask fits quite closely under my nose, so the strip to be shaved isn't very wide.

Could also trim it down a bit from your nose. Razors tend to be cheaper than masks :wink:

I agree with the previous posts. My mask leaks terribly until I shave the area right below my nose. It only takes a little bit of exposed skin there to stop the leaking.

Mark

My mask doesn't leak around my mustache, and I have used several. What does leak and can seem like a mustache leak is stubble on my cheeks. As long as that is shaved, most masks seal over the mustache. I did try shaving a small space just under my nose before I figured that out.

Dennis

Say what???
Just keep a tiny bit of positive pressure in the mask and it won't leak at the mustache - the mask is like a bottle full of air with the mouth turned down. As you go deeper, just add air.
So long as the mask seals along the top and sides, the mustache doesn't matter, nor does the type mask.
Piece of cake.
Rick

My husband shave that small strip under his nose and also uses a little bit of silicone gel as well. Works perfectly.

JcoldwaterIL:
As to be expected I get some water seepage around my upper lip because masks don't seal very good with a mustache. just wondering if anyone has a mask that helps with the mustache seal? I was thinkin maybe the liquid skin from Mares but i don't want to jump up and buy a new mask without any feedback since theres nothing wrong with my current one.
I put a whole bunch of silicone on my upper lip and it really seems to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom