Best online Reg servicing company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me clarify what I know about the situation since it wasn't actually my friend. The guy who is my friend that I trust and know well runs a reg service shop in the South East and he was the one who told me about it. From what I know, he said a buddy team would service their own regs for years and never had a problem until one of them had an issue and never made it out. I don't remember what the actual cause was. They were cave divers and this was in a cave so it wasn't like they could go straight up. I'm sure their was something else that also contributed since one regulator failure wouldn't be enough to be an issue with all the backups and redundancy we have. My friend said after that the guy who made it out had my buddy service his regs from then on and wouldn't do it himself anymore. I'll try to get ahold of my friend and see if he can get me more specific information for you guys.

When I refer to "little tricks" I'm not talking about modifications or anything outside the service manual. My family are drag racers and build fully blueprinted 1200HP engines with over 300 hours just in the valve train for a single engine. They also specialize in transmissions and I've never seen a transmission shift and operate as smooth as they can build them. Of course they have 45 years of experience each and know things about what to pay attention to and possible failure points that aren't mentioned in the manuals. Anyone can build an engine and follow the manual and specs provided, but I guarantee that it won't run as smooth and last as long as someone with 45 years of experience. A manual might say to install a bearing on a shaft by pressing it on but they don't say how you can put it in the oven and heat it up to make it swell where it will just slide on. It's still following the manual but a nice bit of experience goes a long way. I've seen many people follow a manual that couldn't get something to function according to the manual.

I'm sure the majority of people hear could take a class and be just fine servicing their own regs and never have an issue. I feel very confident with my ability to work on things like this and used to work in an arms room working on weapons for the military along with rebuilding and tuning plenty of carburetors. the only way I would rebuild my own regs is if I got to spend enough time under someone with experience that I could make sure I'm completely competent with what I'm doing. It shouldn't just be a friend showing another friend how to service that isn't certified which I know someone who is now doing this.

$750!!!!. I need to get back into repairing regs and charging my Kids a Mortgage payment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom