Best open-heel freedive-type fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If looking for long blade fins, look for fins that have a really soft end to the fin blade. The last 8 inches or so should be so soft that it doesn't seem like it will be doing anything. It's job is to rotate the vorticity generated by the stiffer parts of the fin closer to the foot pocket and aim the momentum in the right direction, not to generate thrust of it's own. If it's too stiff, the fin will be inefficient and hard on your feet and ankles. I've yet to see a plastic fin blade that is made soft enough at the end (except for fins that I personally made or that have been modified). ...//...
I couldn't possibly agree more!

However. this isn't true for all divers. I believe that the difference is that some desire all the acceleration power possible from a freedive fin (intercept hunters) while others, like me, love the ease that one can cover real estate while using really soft tip fins. I ground my hunter fin tips down with a hand grinder and an aggressive flap sander disc. They look horrible, feel great. Yes, Dano, you asked. The fin tips do indeed fray. Wrong material.

@MAKO Spearguns I hope you see this, Dano. We conversed on this very topic. Still waiting for old fogey soft tips... :wink:

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Possibly a more practical option would be our fiberglass blades in the soft version. they are noticeably softer than our plastic/polymer blades, but are actually pretty rugged blades. They have a good elastic response and are quite popular with freedivers. However, they cost a good bit more than our inexpensive fins.

Competition Fiberglass Fins Black | MAKO Spearguns

a little over $200 for black and camo is a little extra as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom