Best option in April for a single diver within a $1,000 flight from US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About the least expensive dive trip I've done is on Roatan. As cheap as possible would be staying in the West End at one of two hostels - Chillies or the other one. Dives are 10/$300 everywhere, food is street vendors on up. The Noodles factory is under $5 for lunch and there's several vendors selling grilled meat and other things daily on the street. Also fresh fish, vegetables etc. from trucks. You don't need/want a car and it's a $25 fixed price cab ride from the airport. $40 departure tax when you leave. You can also find rooms in the $20-50 range - Coconut Tree has small cabins - some with kitchens for under $50. So does Posada Arco Iris. Both in "downtown" West End. CTD has a lot of other options here: Roatán, West End | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

Flights are probably more than to Coz though. We couldn't seem to get there for much under $700 r/t.

Utila is equally as inexpensive except you've got the added cost of the flight from either the mainland or Roatan. It's a dive training/backpacking destination so staying in town can be very affordable. IDK about dive costs since we stay at Deep Blue outside of town - in April that would be around $1600/wk.

Villablanca Garden Hotel on Coz might be another option. Some friends were there last year and bundled room/dives/breakfast for around $700pp. Looks like that's about $850 now - including 15 dives. There's also a shore dive off the property in some rubble. http://www.villablanca.net/default.cfm

Take a look at Roatan, April is one of the best month's of the year to dive here, the weather is good, the cruise ships finish around April 15th so it's not busy after that. The water is generally very calm & clear that month. Other than shore diving, I doubt you will find less expensive diving anywhere in the Caribbean. Accommodations can be found very cheap if you don't need anything fancy & even nice hotels in the West End can be found for under $100 per night including breakfast.

We are originally from Vancouver, Canada & have many friends & family that have come down to visit, they have all been able to find flights for around $800 if you book about 6 to 8 weeks before you come. Book too early or too late & it goes up. Shouldn't be much different from Seattle, likely a little cheaper.

The south coast of the DR is great, you can find good deals at the hotels around La Romana & Bayahibe, there is a great dive shop in Bayahibe called Scubafun, highly recommended, check out their website for lots of info about diving in that area. There are several threads about that area in the Greater Caribbean & Bermuda Regional Forum with lots of good information as well.

If you have any questions about accommodations or dive ops etc on Roatan feel free to email us directly, zeppelinsail@gmail.com, we live here full time & operate a liveaboard diving & sailing business and are happy to help out anyone with information about Roatan.

Thank you all. If I were to go to Cozumel, I would rent a place on airbnb and eat out. I can easily live a week on 'tacos al pastor' & other street food. The nice thing about traveling solo is that I can live on the cheap.

Lately I have begun to think that the ability to eat at great Mexican restaurants and street vendors and stay in an inexpensive but perfectly charming little guest house is the reason we seem to prefer Coz to other great diving destinations. Almost every time my wife and I go somewhere else we complain about the food options.

Join the ScubaBoard Invasion to Roatan

SPOTS ARE RUNNING OUT!

Join us for the
Diving Social Event of the Year!

Wonderful Location and Host!
Fantastic Diving and Snorkeling!
Great People to Share the Adventure With!
and
Over $13,000 in prizes!

What are you waiting for???
Get on the Crew Today!
ScubaBoard Invasion 2014 Roatan Package Deal

Here are some of the important links for
the 2014 ScubaBoard Invasion
to help everyone to stay informed.

RECENT NEW THREADS!!!

Free Nitrox Certification with NASE
Forget Roatan... we're heading to Roat-EAN with NASE!!!

Divers looking for Roommates
Divers looking for Roommates for the 2014 ScubaBoard Invasion to Roatan

Sponsors Prize Donations!!!
2014 ScubaBoard Invasion Sponsors

over $13,000 in prizes!
Thank you for the ScubaBoard support to all the participating Sponsors!

Info on diving and all the fun things to do in Roatan
Things to do in Roatan

Roatan Crew List
Official 2014 Invasion Crew List

Vote in the 1st Round for your favorite T Shirt Designs
2014 Invasion Event T Shirt Vote
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif