Best place for UW Camera Demo & Red Bootcamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre BC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I am planning another trip to the Fort Laderdale/Miami area in about 3 weeks. I dove there a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by how many wrecks you can hit just a few miles from the Hall of Fame Marina area. On one dive, we hit 5 wrecks in about 50 minutes... Now I want to go back and take pictures!

Where is the best place in South Florida to demo UW cameras? I currently use a Sony (DSCP200) point and shoot in a Ikelite housing with a DS125 strobe. I am looking for something a step up without going too nuts... While I would love a top of the line SLR in a housing, it is out of the budget for now... I would rather spend the money on travel and seminars! Can anyone suggest someplace where I can try UW cameras before I buy? How do the programs work? Do you rent the cameras and then get a credit back for the rental fee if I buy?

Speaking about expensive toys, I keep hearing rumors about a week long UW videography bootcamp using the Red. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would trade my mother-in-law (who l love dearly) for the opportunity to shoot underwater footage with a Red! Supposedly it is scheduled for sometime in April or May and is being put on by a group that includes experienced TV/documentary directors and cinematographers. Any leads would be greatly appreciated... I can't imagine there will be many slots and I want one of them!!!

Thanks!

P

Dave:

Thank you for the referal. Are they a dive shop too?

It is always great when you are an out of town visitor to find a place where you can "one stop shop." My ideal would be a dive shop with free UW camera demo's and a dive boat right out the back!!!

Is there anyplace like that in Fort Lauderdale?

P

If your in CA you might want to check out Backscatter or H20Photopros as they are in your "general" area. If you want a great camera and save money think about buying used. There are always people who want the latest and greatest so you can pick up lightly used systems for half the price. Check here and Wetpixel.

This is all great advice. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I am one of those divers who is allergic to cold water! So, the best solution for me is a place that will let me "try before I buy" where I will be warm water diving in South Florida.... I heard that there is going to be a Sea & Sea School of Underwater Photography opening in that area during March and that it will feature free underwater camera demos on every dive and in every class from DSD to IDC. Anyone know if this is true? And if it is true, where it is going to be and how to make reservations?

P

If you are in South Florida, go by and talk to Ryan at Reef Photo. Since you are in Pasadena, you can come check us out down in Newport. I see you said you are not a cold water guy...bummer because we are now doing camera demos at Catalina Island every other weekend Starting in April. We also do lots of warm water trips where you can try out gear. Good luck and let me know if we can be of any assistance.

I checked with Ryan at Reef who referred me to Ryan at ProDive who gave me the skinny... Full details are now available at: Pro Dive International Red One Underwater Boot Camp

The classes and instructors sound incredible!

Ric Frazier: Award-winning Director Ric Frazier is one of the world’s most skilled, experienced and versatile photographers specializing in the aquatic realm. He has redefined the art of underwater photography, shooting everything from people, to sets, to ocean life. His client list is extensive, ranging from Nike and O’Neil, to magazines including Men’s Fitness, Esquire, GQ, and National Geographic. He has directed commercials for The Pier at Caesars, the Sci-Fi Channel and Diesel Jeans, and among numerous other awards, was named Best Music Video Director at the 2007 Elevate Film Festival.

Luke Inman: Originally from England, Luke is an experienced cameraman and fixer. He has worked with the BBC, Lucas Films, Castle Rock Entertainment, The Monterey Bay Aquarium, National Geographic, Discovery and Animal Planet. Luke has functioned as both a camera assistant and safety diver on productions such as Star Wars Phantom Menace, My Giant, and numerous commercials and short films. Luke is a PADI Course Director and maintains Instructor-Trainer certifications with several technical agencies, including a Commercial Diving Qualification from the UK’s Health & Safety Executive.

P

I Dont know Ric personally, but Luke is an awesome guy and a heck of a shooter. Attended a very prestigious film school in England and is extremely knowledgeable on shooting the Red system. Ive chatted with him a lot lately online with questions since I am just learning to shoot the Red One.

Mike:

Thank you for always having something knowledgable or insightful to say. If your plans change, I look forward to meeting you at the Red One Bootcamp. If they don't, I will be sure to drop by the next time I am in SoCal!

P

Sounds great. Look forward to meeting you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom