Best place in world to do Dive Master Training?

After my DMT.. Navy diver or Army Engineer Diver?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe3235412

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just started diving but already am in love. I am looking into doing my DMT somewhere and also looking at becoming a Navy diver or Army Engineering diver after. If i do go through with a DMT course i would be selling my house so money wouldn't really be an issue. Just looking for your guys thoughts on the best place/country to do my DMT. Been looking at Thailand as I know there are lots of places there to do it. Also been looking at Cayman Islands as I know thats some of the best diving in the world. Let me know what you guys think!
(sorry if there are similar posts to this. new to the site and haven't looked around too much)

Wow , you really have caught the diving bug, well done.

The very very best diving in the world is probably the Galápagos Islands or the Socorro islands , but these are accessible only by liveaboard.

If it was me I would go to Indonesia or the Philippines...Bali or Komodo would be my first choice.

At the risk of sounding old and boring, please consider options other than selling your house...do you have any generous rich relatives ? I am only saying this because I sold a flat in a beautiful part of London and have regretted this a lot since.

Good luck with the diving , it's a fabulous hobby.

Wow , you really have caught the diving bug, well done.

The very very best diving in the world is probably the Galápagos Islands or the Socorro islands , but these are accessible only by liveaboard.

If it was me I would go to Indonesia or the Philippines...Bali or Komodo would be my first choice.

At the risk of sounding old and boring, please consider options other than selling your house...do you have any generous rich relatives ? I am only saying this because I sold a flat in a beautiful part of London and have regretted this a lot since.

Good luck with the diving , it's a fabulous hobby.
The main reason I would be selling is because I am hoping on goin the military diving route. Just doesn't make sense to own a house while in the navy...

Here's the thing with becoming a DM. Don't quit your day job.
DM's are a dime a dozen and many times treated like indentured servants.
As for doing it and then signing up. First thing you will need to do is forget everything you learn in your recreational classes. The military will train you their way. That's IF you even make it into one of the programs. Then you have to make it out of the program.
Selling your house to become a DM is kinda on the crazy side.

What's the point of doing a Divemaster course if you ultimately plan on diving with the military? Divemaster will be next to useless. If the idea of doing a Divemaster course in some tropical location is just for fun and totally unrelated to your future plans, go for it. I don't know anything about military diving, but I suspect they could not care less whether a candidate has a Divemaster card.

Two different concepts.

If you don't have money concerns, Cayman would work. Just know it's really expensive there, the US$ is fixed at .80CI$ and food, lodging etc. are also very high. I'd personally find a shop that also handles some cruise business for your DM since that will expose you to more potential problem scenarios. Picking a shop like Divetech already pre-supposes that their clientele is more experienced.

Roatan would give you similar options and allow you to keep more of your money. In the West End you don't even need a car. There's all sorts of programs available thru a multitude of shops and things are overall pretty cheap there. Some even provide shared housing and shuttles as needed.

Very good diving also, just not the awesome deep walls like Cayman. Although on some worlds best lists - Morat Wall off Barbareta is listed - easy day trip from SE Roatan.

Coincidentally Cayman and Roatan just signed a marketing partnership so there will soon be (or already is) direct flights between them.

Find out if DMT is going to apply in any meaningful way except to possibly have an enlightened recruiter place you in the dive program so you can re-learn the Navy way. I'm not one nor have been in the Navy so don't know.

Maybe a program that standardizes training in a team environment (it is the military after all) and maximizes control in the water would be useful. Like Global Underwater Explorers or Unified Team Diving. Take GUE Fundies - learning peak buoyancy control can't be a bad thing for use in the military. UTD is based in San Diego so may have some Navy connections also?

Last edited:
Roatan!

But I am definitely biased so take your time and research your options, taking into consideration the responses you get here.

I would recommend considering your Open Water Scuba Instructor training after completion of your DM, especially if finances aren't a barrier and you're not committed to the military route but want to make a living out of diving. If you don't already have your Open Water certification, get that as soon as you can and it will open up more doors for your training, timing-wise (you will need to wait a minimum of six months after Open Water certification to get your Instructor certification).

Best of luck and if you'd like to discuss your options further, or have the chance to speak to some former Divemaster and Instructor interns, feel free to contact us at info@roatandiveacademy.com and we will assist you with whatever extra information you're looking for.

You should go talk to a recruiter. Be sure of the qualifications. Do you meet them all? If you need waivers for something be concerned. Also I've seen the PT program to get you ready for navy dive school and they expect a really physically prepared guy.Iit will be a really intense experience if you are prepared and hell if you are not. Failing out could mean you spend the next 4 years chipping paint and cleaning sewage lines as a hull technician.

First of all thanks for all the responses so soon. The main reason I am doing the DM training is strictly for fun. I graduated from high school 3 years ago and have been plumbing ever since, I like it and all but I just can't imagine doing it my whole life and not expierencing more. I don't want to make a career out of diving, (maybe work at a dive shop in Mexico for a few years after the navy.) I just want to get out and do something else at this point in my life. As for the difficulty of navy diver I know it's extremely hard to get into and finish but I am still looking into other options. Half the reason is the benefits and opportunities after the 4 years would make it worth it. Again thanks for all the responses.. keep em coming!

DO NOT GET ANY DIVE CERTS FOR THE MILITARY.

DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE TO JOIN THE MILITARY.

I am both a Realtor and prior Mil. PM me if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom