Best place to live as a retired diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What part of Florida would that be? is there also access to the sea for wrecks and reefs?
North Central Florida. The ocean for reefs/wrecks is about 5 hours away, Key Largo is 6 hours away. The springs are in our backyard.

There is so many different types of diving here.

So tell us about your best 3 dives that you did while visiting and why you like them. That will narrow where to live.
I loved the deep wrecks in Pompano, the reef dives in Key Largo, And the Wrecks in Key Largo. I am headed to Palm beach next week to check out that area.

I love wrecks. the sea life and the history combined are my fave dives.

I like tec diving but my wife is rec only and I enjoy the rec dives with her just as much.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Florida is no longer the retirement dream it used to be. Cost of living is on par with any expensive metro area in the nation.

Property values are grossly overpriced, consequently property taxes and insurance rates have skyrocketed. Due to demand inflation is higher here than anywhere else.

The S. Fla reefs are dying due to too many people moving here and over development. Lake O is back up to 15ft. One big storm and the ACOE will be doing toxic water releases to both coasts again.

And everyone here is crazy. Non natives don't know how to act in this heat and they certainly don't know how to drink in this heat. A ridiculous number of qualified captains who bought or rent boats are now on the water and are a danger to others and the environment.

Don't believe the hype. Old Florida is dying. These are the bizarre consequences of championing personal freedom and parental rights while other states went authoritarian.
is there a better option in the USA? I will spend part of the year in Thailand but would like a home base in a state.

I have hung up my dry suit after a few years of North East Tech diving. It was fun but there is no way my wife is doing any cold water diving. I prefer warm water if I am going to relocate.

I want warm water that I can get to whenever the mood strikes me. Nice reefs, wrecks and a variety of depth options.
Florida is not tropical. I dive year round in Boynton Beach, Palm Beach, and Jupiter. Winter water temperatures are low 70s, high 60s, summer is in the 80s. I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit and a 5/3 mm hooded vest and wear them all every year.

is there a better option in the USA? I will spend part of the year in Thailand but would like a home base in a state.
I'd pick the state that has cheap direct flights to good carribean diving. Think major airline hub.

I loved the deep wrecks in Pompano, the reef dives in Key Largo, And the Wrecks in Key Largo. I am headed to Palm beach next week to check out that area.

I love wrecks. the sea life and the history combined are my fave dives.

I like tec diving but my wife is rec only and I enjoy the rec dives with her just as much.
+1 for considering the @scubadada route. I have considered a 2nd home in Florida and if I ever did, it would be right in the Boynton Beach/Del Ray beach area. I love the diving in West Palm and Boynton Beach. I make a point of going out at least once a year for a dive trip and I dive all over the world.

Lots of negatives about sfla, but it's the best option to enjoy the nature. There are still plenty of healthy reefs which are not over dived all over the place here. My personal favorites are Delray/Boynton. It's also pretty reasonable living in Boynton area if you are cost concious. We have some nice reefs here in Pompano where I live, it's a bit closer to the MIA/FLL airports and culture.

Keys have some nice wrecks and it's only 1:20h to drive down there or up to Jupiter to see the big stuff.

Yes, our homeowners and car insurance is through the roof due to the rampant insurance fraud here in FL. Hopefully, a new governor will start cracking down on it.

I have hung up my dry suit after a few years of North East Tech diving. It was fun but there is no way my wife is doing any cold water diving. I prefer warm water if I am going to relocate.

I want warm water that I can get to whenever the mood strikes me. Nice reefs, wrecks and a variety of depth options.
Sounds like Cozumel to me as well.

I will never go back to Florida.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom