Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
Just curious about this. Where would be the best place to live in the continental United States for a serious wreck diver? My company has offices in most major cities so I could transfer pretty much anywhere. I would want it to be on one of the coasts since living in the Great Lakes area doesn't appeal to me very much. I would like to be somewhat close to a major international airport if possible but great local wreck diving would be huge. Thanks.

gr8ful divr:
Just curious about this. Where would be the best place to live in the continental United States for a serious wreck diver? My company has offices in most major cities so I could transfer pretty much anywhere. I would want it to be on one of the coasts since living in the Great Lakes area doesn't appeal to me very much. I would like to be somewhat close to a major international airport if possible but great local wreck diving would be huge. Thanks.

Eliminating the Great Lakes is certainly eliminating the Best Wreck Diving so I guess you will just have to settle for second best!!!!!

My vote is for New Jersey. It's pretty much the ONLY kind of diving we do out here! There are so many wrecks that are accessible by dive boat, it's incredible. I spent one summer going to over 24 different wreck sites. And...I don't even LIKE wreck diving.

I don't think that is a fair question. From Main to the Keys. wrecks every where. From Jupiter Fl. to the Keys over 300 wrecks. I sure would like to dive them all.

Well, if you believe the major scuba mags, North Carolina. We are constantly rated the best wreck dives in the US. We also have lots of fish both local and tropical as well as large sharks. I would think most anywhere on the east coast would do but the farther south the longer the season.

My first choice would be the Great Lakes. Second choice would be Florida.

Coastal Virginia through coastal North Carolina; the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" wrecks ranging from pre-colonial through modern

gr8ful divr:

Anywhere in the continental US isn't the best place for a wreck diver. The UK and Nothern Europe (countries on the North Sea) are the wreck diver's paradise.

I guess if you live in the US, then New Jersey sounds pretty appealing the the cyber diver.....

R..

Where on the left or right coasts can you see a hundred and fifty year old wooden schooner intact on the bottom? You can't. Great Lakes.

Jim

What I am really looking for are specific cities with the best access to sites. The Great Lakes area is out because I don't especially like winters with 25 feet of snow. Plus the Great Lakes area would make me that much further from just about any tropical diving. I would probably lean toward cities as far north as Baltimore and as far south as Miami. I would also do the west coast if there are any cities near good wreck diving. I would like to live somewhere with wreck diving in my "backyard" but would also like a lot of variety. Let me know your suggestions. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom